Am I packing too much weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
my biggest concern is being on my own at the moment, I'd be happier riding with a freind...but I dont know anybody with th eslightest inclination to ride a bike!

You've got us with you! In a virtual kind of way..

Have a good 'un..

Road Fiddler

I have no experience of touring but i do teach survival and outdoor outdoor actives.

With the clothing you are carrying a tent is probably a good idea but what tent do you have and what wait is it. i have a mountain hardware keva which weighs 1.65 kg, ok i hear you guys say that's heavy for a tent but believe me it is light for a four man tent, i use it as a single man tent when teaching and i have all the space i could wish for. Do you need two sleep mats the second will just add bulk and you can sleep anywhere when you are tired.

You could bin the tent and take a tarp, much more useful and surprisingly comfortable and weatherproof. You would save a lot of weight and add a warm jacket.

Do you need a footprint it only adds weight and is only of real use on frozen or very stoney ground, I would bin it and select my pitch with a little more care.

Tangies are great but are big bulky heavy and are inefficient and slow. I agree they have there uses but i would be inclined to take a gas stove. The modern gas mix means they are efficient and can handle cold weather much more effectively, in fact gas is now considered the best fuel for extreme cold expeditions. The gas is easily available and is not any heaver than meths. What food you taking? you will probably only need a small pan and possibly a frying pan or lid. Take a large metal mug as a second pan. My titanium mug from Alpkit is my main pan and i like the luxury of a small kettle, sometimes i carry a small frying pan although i have deep fat fried in my mug on one occasion. Medium sized Zebra pots are great and often take one on longer trips, it is even possible to make bread in them.

When are you off touring and were. At this time of year you can get away with a light weight sleeping bag. Down bags are the lightest and warmest but i would chose a synthetic bag as they dont mind getting wet were a down bags are next to useless when wet. So far this year i have been out every other weekend and have only used my Snugpac softie elite 2 which is good down to -5 according to Snugpac, i have been in mine at -8 with only the addition to a thermal top. It ways in at just over a Kg.

You have not mentioned water, if you are going to a remote area you would be well advised to carry at least 6 letters and if you are planning to collect water from streams and the like remember to sterilize it. Crypyosporidium has been found in all UK river systems and you dont want to contract that it is not nice at all.

Are you travelling by yourself, nights can be long and lonely by yourself so take some entertainment, a blow up doll does not add much weight LOL

Oh and dont forget bog roll

Road Fiddler

I forgot to add good luck with your trip I am sure your will have a great time. When travelling by yourself it is easy to get talk yourself into stopping or giving up a couple of days in so stay focused.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtallfatbloke said:
my biggest concern is being on my own at the moment, I'd be happier riding with a freind...but I dont know anybody with th eslightest inclination to ride a bike!

I've done two tours (a week long each time) on my own, and I like it. You are your own master, you set the pace, you stop where you want. If you feel crap, skip a day or go on the train. You can talk to a field of cows, or just pass by. Stop to identify that wild flower, or ignore it. You can sing, out loud, or internally, any song you like, or put the entire world to rights by developing your very own world peace plan in your head. If you feel lonely, you stop at a cafe or a pub and have a natter to the waitress or barman. When people see you loaded up, they may well ask what you're doing, and they'll generally be dead impressed.

Yes, having a friend along is great. But you can make the best of being alone as well....

Good luck! And enjoy it!

Top Bottom