am i ready?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
steve52 said:
i can do 60 miles in under 4 hours with others my best is an avg of 17 normally closer to lhigh 15s, will i be out of my class on a sportive?

Sportives are not races so it is difficult to be 'outclassed'.
However, you are loads quicker than a lot on here who seem to delight in expressing their ability to ride as slowly as possible.
;)

colly

Re member eR
steve52 said:
i can do 60 miles in under 4 hours with others my best is an avg of 17 normally closer to l high 15s, will i be out of my class on a sportive?

I dream of high 15's:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You would be fine at anything like that to be honest. I suppose it would depend on how hilly a sportive you were in and how accustomed to hills you were but even hills aren't what you are used to I don't think you would have any problems.

amrushton

Depends on the terrain and how you feel on the day. Why not just and go ride one at a comfortable pace and see how you go. As already stated it isn't a race unless you make it one and then you might be disappointed if people who do actually race turn up and ride.

You'll be fine.

If you regularly do 60-70 miles, you can step-up to 100 on event day due to the big-day excitement.

Maybe don't pick the hilliest event from one of the organisers who seem to be playing 'my sportive is harder than yours' as your first one, but if you pick a biggish one with lots of people on it, some will be faster than you, some slower.

You could aim simply to finish your first one, then if you found it easily manageable you can go harder on the next one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
steve52 said:
i can do 60 miles in under 4 hours with others my best is an avg of 17 normally closer to lhigh 15s, will i be out of my class on a sportive?

I'm very similar to you and just did the Cumbrian Christmas Cracker at the weekend. Plenty of people were "better", which just means faster, than me. Simply pick a ride you like the look of and go for it, you'll always find a few you can chase for a while, a group you can ride with etc. Sportives are good fun, I usally manage to average around 13-15mph depending on the terrain.

wlc1

I did my 1st sportive on 5th December - hard work ( I picked a monster hilly one) but I loved it.

Go for it. Get the fuelling right and you'll be laughing

Top Bottom