Am I right or am I wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Earlier this year Lady Skol decided we should change the failing UPVC french doors into the back garden at Skol Towers for some of the swish bi-folding variety that seem to be the latest home lifestyle must-have at the moment.

I spoke to a few potential suppliers and eventually settled on a preferred company and was given an estimate based on my own measurements. In the meantime things got a bit hectic with children's exams and job hunting, a few Covid incidents, as well as some UK holidays, so the door plan was shoved onto a back burner until this week. Ready to restart the process I contacted the company who confirmed the estimate was still valid and the next step would be to issue me with a proforma invoice. I would pay a deposit then they would conduct a site visit to make sure the doors were manufactured to the correct dimensions rather than relying on my own sizes. All good so far.

Then the proforma invoice arrived and I spied the payment terms!
30% deposit prior to site visit (No problems here)
A further 65% payable 7 days in advance of the installation!!!
The remaining 5% to be paid on completion on the day of installation.

Now I may be stupid, but even I know that paying a tradesman or construction company 95% of the job even before materials are on site is a sure way to leave yourself vulnerable to a big loss. I also accept that they are custom manufacturing something specifically to my requirements so need to be sure that they have not thrown time and materials into a job that is not going to be completed.

My big problem is that the final 5% payment comes to just under £130 and in my opinion that is just not significant enough to ensure they enthusiastically rectify any problems I identify once they consider the install completed. I'm not expecting a mess, I wouldn't be dealing with them if I did, but shoot happens. All I want is a reasonable surety that should the fitter be having a bad day and make an ugly hash of sealing the frame, or one of the doors gets scratched or dinged during fitting, then they will take reasonably prompt action to correct the fault/s and collect the balance of payments and <£130 is not enough to guarantee that.

I have contacted them to make the initial deposit and attempted to renegotiate the payment terms, offering to pay enough at the 7-days-to-go deadline to leave around 50% of the total payable on installation day, but they will have none of it. They claimed all their customers pay on those terms and it is rarely questioned and I said that is madness and we cannot possibly go ahead in that case so would leave it.

So there we are, I am back to looking for a new supplier, which is a shame as I like the product and the price was comparable to other companies.

I can't decide if I have just cut off my nose to spite my face or I am right to withstand such unreasonable trading terms? Just wondering what the CC crew think?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t be happy paying any firm nearly all up front. Changed my windows 4 years ago and I think it was 10% deposit then the balance after it was done to my satisfaction. Thought that was pretty much the norm.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd not pay on those terms. Basically, if they make a terrible job of it they've got 95% of your money. There's a good chance the original installation date will be delayed and delayed. Have you checked any reviews of them?

Me? I'm happy to pay a 25-30% deposit to cover materials, etc. they might have to buy but won't go any further. Any of the tradespeople I've used go with that.

My recommendation is for you to walk away and find a better, more compliant supplier.

Slick

Guru
Probably a bit cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Pick a company you would trust on similar terms would be my advice.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Basically, if they make a terrible job of it they've got 95% of your money.
That's my problem right there. I'm not too worried that I will pay 95% and then never see them again, that would just be a discussion between them and the credit card Co. If the install is not to a suitable standard they have little incentive to ever come back and sort it.

si_c

Guru
Under no circumstances would I proceed on the terms they insist on.

As you rightly say there is no incentive for the job to be completed on time and in a manner to your satisfaction. If they don't want your business then find another company who offer more reasonable terms.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Earlier this year Lady Skol decided we should change the failing UPVC french doors into the back garden at Skol Towers for some of the swish bi-folding variety that seem to be the latest home lifestyle must-have at the moment.

I spoke to a few potential suppliers and eventually settled on a preferred company and was given an estimate based on my own measurements. In the meantime things got a bit hectic with children's exams and job hunting, a few Covid incidents, as well as some UK holidays, so the door plan was shoved onto a back burner until this week. Ready to restart the process I contacted the company who confirmed the estimate was still valid and the next step would be to issue me with a proforma invoice. I would pay a deposit then they would conduct a site visit to make sure the doors were manufactured to the correct dimensions rather than relying on my own sizes. All good so far.

Then the proforma invoice arrived and I spied the payment terms!
30% deposit prior to site visit (No problems here)
A further 65% payable 7 days in advance of the installation!!!
The remaining 5% to be paid on completion on the day of installation.

Now I may be stupid, but even I know that paying a tradesman or construction company 95% of the job even before materials are on site is a sure way to leave yourself vulnerable to a big loss. I also accept that they are custom manufacturing something specifically to my requirements so need to be sure that they have not thrown time and materials into a job that is not going to be completed.

My big problem is that the final 5% payment comes to just under £130 and in my opinion that is just not significant enough to ensure they enthusiastically rectify any problems I identify once they consider the install completed. I'm not expecting a mess, I wouldn't be dealing with them if I did, but shoot happens. All I want is a reasonable surety that should the fitter be having a bad day and make an ugly hash of sealing the frame, or one of the doors gets scratched or dinged during fitting, then they will take reasonably prompt action to correct the fault/s and collect the balance of payments and <£130 is not enough to guarantee that.

I have contacted them to make the initial deposit and attempted to renegotiate the payment terms, offering to pay enough at the 7-days-to-go deadline to leave around 50% of the total payable on installation day, but they will have none of it. They claimed all their customers pay on those terms and it is rarely questioned and I said that is madness and we cannot possibly go ahead in that case so would leave it.

So there we are, I am back to looking for a new supplier, which is a shame as I like the product and the price was comparable to other companies.

I can't decide if I have just cut off my nose to spite my face or I am right to withstand such unreasonable trading terms? Just wondering what the CC crew think?

You're right.

Walk away.

Sharky

Guru
I've had nearly all my windows and patio doors replaced. At no time did they ask for any advance payment. And they took a while before they sent me their invoice.

Buck

Guru
This sounds to me as though they are tarring everyone with the same brush and future customers are bearing all the risk.

When we had all the work done for our extension, the company we used requested a 50% deposit as all the aluminium windows/doors were bespoke and on completion and snagging the balance was due.
we were happy with that.

This year when I built our garden room I went for our local window company (who happened to be the cheapest) for uPVC French doors and windows and I paid nothing until they were delivered to me (I was installing)

Are you wanting aluminium or uPVC - I could give you details of the two companies as you are only the other side of the hill aren’t you?

Top Bottom