Am I the first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt

I went in at about 4pm on my way home

Bought a saddle bag (great value)
and 4 pairs of socks which cost me about £2. (Excellent value)

I was going to get the cycle computer to use on my mountain bike but they didn't have any. I presume someone has been in and bought them all to sell on for profit.

MrRidley

Went into lidl (duke st) at lunchtime, managed to buy the last two computers one for me as backup and one for mate, also bought 2 t-shirts
and multitool which is made by a top italian tool manufacturer as i bought their full toolkit last year for £17 some lbs were selling it for £40.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now't - there is one near Whitworth Park Manchester - but I'll be passing by bike tomorrow - I ain't leaving my bike outside there...

That's my nearest....boooooo !

delb0y

Legendary Member
I had a shuftie at the jackets but decided against it. Last time I bought a cheap cycling jacket (Aldi's) the zip broke pretty quickly. I did buy two bottles of balsamic vinegar and three pizzas though... then realised I couldn't get them home so I invested in a pannier. It did the trick. Don't imagine it'll get many trips out, which is why it was a good buy - all the posh ones seem to go from £25 up to about £90 - far too much to invest just for the occasional shopping trip - so I'm happy with my Lidl purchase!

Del

Downward

Guru
If you go the evening before it starts all the stuff is out.
They tend to have just a few staff after 5 and shut at 8 so tend to put all the stuff out at 3pm.

I go past Lidl on the way home and this has been the case this time and last time.

Downward

Guru
delb0y said:
I had a shuftie at the jackets but decided against it. Last time I bought a cheap cycling jacket (Aldi's) the zip broke pretty quickly. I did buy two bottles of balsamic vinegar and three pizzas though... then realised I couldn't get them home so I invested in a pannier. It did the trick. Don't imagine it'll get many trips out, which is why it was a good buy - all the posh ones seem to go from £25 up to about £90 - far too much to invest just for the occasional shopping trip - so I'm happy with my Lidl purchase!

Del

Yeah I have a jacket - After 2 wears the pocket zip broke and another wear and the other one broke.

Now I use it for a summer jacket

Tonky

Next time... try going the night before the items are due on sale. I visited the Stafford store last night on the way home from work and the baskets were full of all items!

RSV_Ecosse

Downward said:
If you go the evening before it starts all the stuff is out.
They tend to have just a few staff after 5 and shut at 8 so tend to put all the stuff out at 3pm.

I go past Lidl on the way home and this has been the case this time and last time.

Ahhh!!!! Didn't know that!!!. Will keep that in mind for the next time. xx(

To those who managed to grab one of the computers. What are they like?. Can they display two things on screen at the same time such as avg speed and total run time elapsed?.

l4dva

Guru
I went back on the way home they had a fair bit of stuff left there.
Managed to pick up the last shorts in a medium, a t shirt and socks.
So now im fully kitted out in lidl gear lol
I did try the jacket out on the bike, 20 min ride and my arms were wet from the sweat. kept me warm though as it was quite chilly out.
The shorts are no where near as nice as the ones I got from the LBS but those ones did cost me £20 more. I'm quite pleased with my cheap and cheerfull shopping trip though lol
Did look at the shoes, but damn are they heavy!! I need a saddle bag, but just didn't like the look of the ones they had there.

soulful dog

Veteran
I went in today for the gloves, but my local Lidl (Baillieston) still had a few cycle computers left (anyone in Glasgow could also try the Tollcross store). After reading that a couple of folk missed out, I just bought two for anyone that wants them? They're only £3.90 so that plus P&P and I'll post it two the first two people who PM me.

They're unopened but for RSV_Ecosse, it does say on the box it has a 2-line display. The picture on the Lidl website shows the speed and temperature, the pic on the box shows the speed and I think mileage. I've no idea how flexible it is in practise though...

e-rider

crappy member
Isn't this all a bit of a false economy? Yeah, the stuff is really cheap, but clearly fairly low quality, so not only will its function be poor but also its durability - surely it would make more sense to buy better quality stuff that works well and will last longer.

Also, how much are the people in the Far East getting paid to produce this stuff - not more than a few pence I would guess!

Downward

Guru
tundragumski said:
Isn't this all a bit of a false economy? Yeah, the stuff is really cheap, but clearly fairly low quality, so not only will its function be poor but also its durability - surely it would make more sense to buy better quality stuff that works well and will last longer.

Also, how much are the people in the Far East getting paid to produce this stuff - not more than a few pence I would guess!

It depends on how long cycle clothing takes to wear out.
Generally only the hardcore commuters do a year round everyday commute to work on bike and if I was one of these I would probably invest in some "better quality" clothing.

Currently though doing a 14 mile round trip 3 times a week I haven't had any major issues with any cheap clothing. Maybe if I was cycling for more than 1.5 hours per day I would want some waterproofs but I have yet to come across any weather where my commute has been uncomfortable in the Lidl/Aldi/Decathlon products.

postman

Legendary Member
Stevevw He got in early and got a pair of leggins for the wife.

I don't rate that swap.

You will miss her you know.

RSV_Ecosse

soulful dog said:
I went in today for the gloves, but my local Lidl (Baillieston) still had a few cycle computers left (anyone in Glasgow could also try the Tollcross store). After reading that a couple of folk missed out, I just bought two for anyone that wants them? They're only £3.90 so that plus P&P and I'll post it two the first two people who PM me.

They're unopened but for RSV_Ecosse, it does say on the box it has a 2-line display. The picture on the Lidl website shows the speed and temperature, the pic on the box shows the speed and I think mileage. I've no idea how flexible it is in practise though...

Thanks for the info!!!

You have a PM. First dibs on one of those trip computers please!!!. :girl:

Top Bottom