Am I the first?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
To have purchased something in the Lidl cycle bonanza this morning? Bought some new socks, a mini pump with pressure gauge (dunno how reliable it will be...)and plumped for the shoes to try out. All purchased by 8.30am!!
How sad!!!

stevevw

Guru
Sorry no, I got in early at 7:55 and out by 8:05 with 2 shirts, 3 pairs of shorts, 6 pairs of socks, rain jacket, 2 pairs of gloves and a pair of leggins for the wife. All looks to be fine and will be used through the summer for the commute.

OP
OP
Pompey Princess

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Well done you!

No ladies tops or jackets in my local Lidl. Don't like padded bums either so had to pass on the 3/4 length tights which I was disappointed about.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
7pm last night for me!

Got 2 tops, 2 pairs shorts, seatbag and a pump. Not too impressed with the pump though all else is OK

l4dva

Guru
I got myself the multi tool, a jacket and gloves, this morning. Starting to think I should have got a pair of the shorts now though.....
The jacket and the gloves seems good enough, the multi tool seems a bit "cheap" but im sure it will work a treat regardless.

RSV_Ecosse

Popped in to my local store this morning at about 11.00am.

Most of the stuff was already gone.

Managed to get 4 pairs of socks, a gel trekking saddle for the wife's mountain bike and a pair of ladies gloves for her.

Really wanted to try one of the trip computers so on the way back I nipped into another Lidl store to find they had nothing but empty display racks.

Asked a store assistant if they had any trip computers left and he said he would go and ask. Another assistant appeared and said "Sorry, a guy was waiting at the doors when we opened and he bought them all".

This I find totally unacceptable. Surely there should be a limit per customer for items like this?. The staff just shrugged their shoulders.

I can only assume the ones purchased will be going on eBay in an attempt to make a few quid profit on each one. :sad:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I've just come back from Lidl Clacton.

Arrived at the store on my trike with the extra panniers on the back to make room for all the goodies I was going to purchase (had a long list for myself and Uncle James). Was slightly perturbed when I walked in and the security guard said, "I drove past you cycling an hour ago." I found myself wittering about having taken the long way round, and having travelled a long way, as I thought he was saying I was rather slow. In retrospect he was probably just saying that he recognised me from the weird bike.

Anyway, I was the only apparent cyclist in the store and felt a bit foolish in my bib tights and high-vis, surrounded by pensioners and random housewives.

Still I managed to spend the quite remarkable sum of £67 on cycling gear (and £3 on two packets of Schwarzwälder Schinken) and completely filled my panniers. I even bought the cycle helmet but couldn't be bothered to faff with the fitting so clipped it onto the back of my panniers for the way home.

Anyway, got the following:
4 pairs of Capri pants (2 each of two sizes, not sure which ones will fit best)
2 ladies tops
1 gents top
Saddlebag toolkit (for Uncle James)
bike stand (for Uncle James)
Cycle helmet
1 pair gloves
wireless cycle computer (for when my Lidl one finally dies)
cycle toolkit for Uncle James or me, depending on how good the one in the saddlebag toolkit is

I've offloaded all the stuff on Uncle James who was elsewhere in the car so haven't had a chance to try it on yet but it all looked reasonable. There weren't that big stocks of some of the stuff in the Clacton Lidl though.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got
shorts - seem good
shoes - ditto, length is good, teeny bit narrow, and they are heavy.
gloves - finishing is poor (velcro not stitched down)
2 x wireless computer - very easy to set up, much better than other cheapies I've had.
mini pump (not the pressure gage one as that was rated only 5 bar)
F & R battery light set (not tried yet - kids are always losing theirs so bought as a spare)
saddle bag tool kit - bought it for eldest offspring.... but I think I may keep it for myself, as better bag than my old one altough tools are certainly a bit cheap & chearful.

£50 !

Major embarrassement though - they only take debit cards, I only had credit card - I've never shopped there before as not very convenient. So 20 miles all round trip instead of 10. Good for the legs !

Top Bottom