Am I The Only One To....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Having driven trucks, for a looong time, can I suggest trying to imagine a heavy vehicle with NO power steering, (or synchro mech on the gears either, but that's a different topic!)

D

Deleted member 1258

Having driven trucks, for a looong time, can I suggest trying to imagine a heavy vehicle with NO power steering, (or synchro mech on the gears either, but that's a different topic!)

I remember an old large forklift truck from many years ago, 2.5 ton if I remember rightly, no power steering and the steering was very high geared, a lot of the lads wouldn't drive it as driving it was hard work.

tyred

Legendary Member

I have driven a Volvo F7 with non-functioning power steering around the yard. Not easy.

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember an old large forklift truck from many years ago, 2.5 ton if I remember rightly, no power steering and the steering was very high geared, a lot of the lads wouldn't drive it as driving it was hard work.

A farmer I used to work to had a homemade forklift conversion build on 1950s Fordson Major with the driving position reversed so the mast was mounted on what was originally the rear of the tractor but you now sat the other way around. It did his purpose of working in fields very well as it had great traction but a Major is heavy to drive at the best of times and with about 30 hundred weight added over the steering axle to balance it, it was all but impossible to turn the steering without moving.

The idea was sound but he really should have started with a tractor that had power steering as a base unit.

I think he still has it.

Nibor

Bewildered
I only recently learned when applying the hand brake it is better let the ratchet click than depress the button due to wear and tear on the return spring

I only recently learned when applying the hand brake it is better let the ratchet click than depress the button due to wear and tear on the return spring

Dammit - I have been doing it wrong for the past 37 years then ! But without mishap - and now the EV doesn't even have a conventional handbrake.

DRM

Guru

Old Lansing Bagnall counterbalance by the sound of it, built like an armoured personnel carrier, but no power steering, also iirc it used a long rod from the steering column to the back axle with track rod ends on it, which didn’t make the steering any easier, bomb proof, but nigh on impossible to steer

D

Deleted member 1258

Old Lansing Bagnall counterbalance by the sound of it, built like an armoured personnel carrier, but no power steering, also iirc it used a long rod from the steering column to the back axle with track rod ends on it, which didn’t make the steering any easier, bomb proof, but nigh on impossible to steer

That sounds about right, the main trucks we used were one ton three pedal Bagnall reach trucks, we also had one large very old bagnall reach truck, steering wheel that wouldn't look out of place on an old London bus and ultra low many turns lock to lock steering, an afternoon spinning that wheel like a demon and it felt like I was getting arm pump.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My kids used to tell me off for leaving the "learner" car parked in gear with handbrake on. As they would dip the clutch to start the car and then stall it as they released the clutch not realising it was in gear. Think driving instructor must have taught them to leave it in neutral when parked on level ground??.

As I said to them, if you'd seen your Chevette slowly roll through your Aunties garden fence as you were approaching the front door, then you would park it in gear! :laugh:

My kids used to tell me off for leaving the "learner" car parked in gear with handbrake on. As they would dip the clutch to start the car and then stall it as they released the clutch not realising it was in gear. Think driving instructor must have taught them to leave it in neutral when parked on level ground??.

As I said to them, if you'd seen your Chevette slowly roll through your Aunties garden fence as you were approaching the front door, then you would park it in gear! :laugh:

I had a Chevette, as my first car

I always (no matter what the ground) in gear too

As An Aside
What’s the position now with learner drivers, with regard to ‘Stop/Start’ & automatic handbrakes?

Are these systems turned to off?
(as the ‘stop/start’ makes a stall easier to restart)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It puts additional strain on the steering components, & scrubs the tyre on that particular tread position
<snip>
The only exception to me always having the vehicle moving, when steering, are when I'm on grass, mud, or gravel
Always with the vehicle moving.
Especially on grass or mud - I don't want to chew up the surface.

Top Bottom