Am I the only one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I rarely watch the news or read newspapers. So it has barely registered with me other than I am aware something is going on.

Sacha Baron Cohen v's Edmund Hillary wasn't it? Then Hillary died a few weeks ago and Tom Selleck has replaced him as a candidate.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The amount of coverage it gets over here really pisses me off and I'm the sort of bloke who does news avoidance as a rule.

Pete

Just you wait until later in the year! We're nowhere near started yet! Though I have read about one interesting detail which make this one a bit 'different'. It's apparently the first time since 1928, that neither the incumbent president, nor the vice-president, is standing as a candidate.

Danny

Legendary Member
Probably not the only one, but I actually find it really interesting this year. It feels like American voters are actually being offered more of a choice than we are going to get in Britain, and it will be an historic first if a woman or black man gets elected as president.

Of course it remains to be seen whether either of them would really take any sort of radical action on issues like Iraq, health care, or global warming.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm loving it this yeasr for the same reasons as DannyG. I'm quite torn about who symbolically should win...a woman? (flippin about time) or a black man (ditto). But I guess the important stuff is their policies rather than the things they happen to be. I'm quite pro Hillary though...I think she's incredibly smart and would be a fantastic president!!

Fascinating stuff.

I just check here from time to time to make sure you're all behaving yourselves. I have NO idea what is happening in the so-called 'real world', and I can think of nothing less interesting than the 'breaking news' coming from across the Atlantic!

papercorn2000

Cathryn said:
I'm loving it this yeasr for the same reasons as DannyG. I'm quite torn about who symbolically should win...a woman? (flippin about time) or a black man (ditto). But I guess the important stuff is their policies rather than the things they happen to be. I'm quite pro Hillary though...I think she's incredibly smart and would be a fantastic president!!

Fascinating stuff.

I loved the way that she (and Obama) spinelessly supported the invasion of Iraq. They really popped their heads above the parapet there!

i love it. it's so much more interesting than the british elections and believe me, i hate politics! winning the presidency of the united states actually means something compared to being the british prime minister.

Danny

Legendary Member
papercorn2000 said:
I loved the way that she (and Obama) spinelessly supported the invasion of Iraq. They really popped their heads above the parapet there!

Obama actually opposed the invasion of Iraq - which as far as I am concerned is one of the main things he's got going for him.

Danny

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:

Fascinating stuff.

Of course you now have plenty of plenty of time on your hands to follow the contest in detail - but I guess your entitled to a few perks;)

Top Bottom