Am I the poor relation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Good point, just made me think, I bought a TT bike from one guy, did some leisure rides with another, and paid visits to quite a few others for various reasons, and they all have the same set up, and got to admit the green eyed monster did put in an appearance, but I don`t need that kind of house, seems like it has turned into an upper class sport!!

What have we started here!!!!

TVC

The more cyclists on the road the better irrespective of their social class.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Not rich, not poor, but pay the bills, and have a job I like. I had a career in photographic retail which took me away often. Long hours and such. I don't have a great deal to show for it,but what is that anyway? Just a show. Spend my time cycling, rather than worrying over the ledger. Actually, I am the wealthy relation, still. (I get up, every day, and go to work, a concept many of my kin do not, or cannot, follow)

Drago

Legendary Member
The more sensible cyclists who ride safely and respect the rules of the road and other road users, the better. The rest are not a desirable faction to have on the road.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I can echo @vernon
From where I sit, if I won £100M on the lottery I'd take it, but I'd be mindful of what I'd seen. Having enough, like I do is great, having way too much like them leads to problems and dissatisfaction.

Yeah if I won, firstly, I wouldn't go public with it (of course, keeping it secret can be as big a problem). I would use my money to help others as I see fit, not be harrasssed night and day over it by every sob story under the sun.

I generally don't need much, so I doubt I'd have the huge mansion and umpteen cars, etc etc either, but, it is easy for me to say that - When your circumstances change, you tend to change too.

Money doesn't bring you happiness, just more choice.

Money doesn't bring you happiness, just more choice.
I'd like to have the choice of not doing what I don't want to - working away for long periods. More important to me than having the choice of doing whatever I want.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh no! This sounds like proof that cycling REALLY IS the new golf. Arghhh, our sport is on the slippery slope, unless we can convince "those types" to fark off back to their clubhouses where they can boast away about how rich they are, the nobbers.

What are those types? Also where was it said they were boasting.

You really do not seem to like people with a few bob, or so it often seems. Should cycling only be for those on minimum wages or less.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What are those types? Also where was it said they were boasting.

You really do not seem to like people with a few bob, or so it often seems. Should cycling only be for those on minimum wages or less.

Seems you've got me totally wrong then! I've got no problem whatsoever with people "with a few bob". Some of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met have a few bob, and more.

If I do have a tendency towards disliking a certain group of people, then it is those who are materialistic. That tends to be those who don't have a few bob, but like to give the impression that they do, IME.. However, even at that, they are no more than a minor irritation and easily avoided. HTH..

Lullabelle

Banana
Seems you've got me totally wrong then! I've got no problem whatsoever with people "with a few bob". Some of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met have a few bob, and more.

If I do have a tendency towards disliking a certain group of people, then it is those who are materialistic. That tends to be those who don't have a few bob, but like to give the impression that they do, IME.. However, even at that, they are no more than a minor irritation and easily avoided. HTH..

I work with someone who boasts about all the money he spends on his wife and kids, they all have the latest gadgets-designer clothes etc... last year his wife cheated on him.

screenman

Legendary Member
In that case I do have you wrong, sorry about that.

I see nothing wrong in owning nice material possessions, as long as they are paid for.

I was bought up thinking that a huge detached house was important, once I had one I found out it was not.

Lullabelle

Banana
Poor fellow.

Not really, he is an odious arrogant creature with an over-inflated opinion of himself. He started divorce proceedings and then started to brag about all the women that were interested in him (he is early forties, very little hair, fat belly hanging over his trousers). They soon 'fell back in love with each other' and sold their house and have bought a 4 bedroom 3 storey house and he now has a massive mortgage around his neck for a good few years.

Top Bottom