Am I to heavy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Micpr2

Hi all new to cyclechat
I'm having problems with my bike I purcashed, I'm 18 stone 5 and wanted a bike. I was wary about buying a bike because of my weight and I'm having problems already.
The rear wheel wobbles side to side i took it to the shop and they thought it was a snapped axle or loose bearings they fixed it free of charge because it was still under 30 days guarantee.
After 7 days the rear tyre is wobbling again but not as bad but worried its gonna get as bad as last time.
I don't know if I'm to heavy for the bike I was told a hardball moujtain bike limit is 19 stone 6. I'm not ragging the bike around literally to work and back and on my days off go for a bike ride to lose weight and build up my fitness.
Thanks for reading I hope I can get help with my issue.

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll be fine on any bike of moderate quality upwards. Your wheel is wobbling for reasons other than your weight.

tom73

Guru
Hey and welcome to a fellow newbie have to say this forum is a great place to get help and support.

Can't really help you with your problem but sure someone will be happy to help. But from what i've seen reading other posts is the thinking looks to be that bikes can take more than they say weight wise so don't think that's too much an issue.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I wouldn't worry about being too heavy. I'm a similar weight and one of mine is a carbon road bike. It sounds like either the wheel is built badly and it's out of true, or the hub hasn't been assembled tightly enough. Does the whole wheel rock from side to side or is the rim a wobbly shape?

OP
OP
M

Micpr2

I wouldn't worry about being too heavy. I'm a similar weight and one of mine is a carbon road bike. It sounds like either the wheel is built badly and it's out of true, or the hub hasn't been assembled tightly enough. Does the whole wheel rock from side to side or is the rim a wobbly shape?
The whole wheel If I hold the wheel at the top it moves side to side id say abouts few millimetres each way

OP
OP
M

Micpr2

It's not your weight that's the problem. I think the bike is defective.

BTW, welcome.:hello:
Hi :hello: Tbh I'm starting to think that myself

froze

Über Member
did you by chance consider contacting the manufacture to see what the max recommended rider weight is for your particular bike model? being told what a general bike rider weight limit is for all bikes is simply incorrect because while some may follow the same rules not all do. Most MTB's are between 250 to 260 not 272 pounds, while manufactures may build a bike be able to exceed those limits it isn't recommended to exceed those limits, plus if something happens to the bike that would normally be handled under warranty, won't be handled by warranty if the bike was ridden by someone who exceeded the recommended limits. Limits are manufactures engineered limits that give a product a certain life expectancy and failure rate, anything beyond those limits will reduce how long that thing may last before failure and thus won't be warrantied.

OP
OP
M

Micpr2

did you by chance consider contacting the manufacture to see what the max recommended rider weight is for your particular bike model? being told what a general bike rider weight limit is for all bikes is simply incorrect because while some may follow the same rules not all do. Most MTB's are between 250 to 260 not 272 pounds, while manufactures may build a bike be able to exceed those limits it isn't recommended to exceed those limits, plus if something happens to the bike that would normally be handled under warranty, won't be handled by warranty if the bike was ridden by someone who exceeded the recommended limits. Limits are manufactures engineered limits that give a product a certain life expectancy and failure rate, anything beyond those limits will reduce how long that thing may last before failure and thus won't be warrantied.
On the wheel it says max rider weight 120kg. I weigh abouts 116 I know it's close but it's not over.

Kajjal

Guru

This is a good point, for example below is a link to the max weights for specialized bikes. Generally the alloy hardtails go up to 300lbs but most other bikes are below this.

https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000093943.pdf

gasinayr

Über Member
I had a similar problem when I bought a Trek 6000 disk hardtail. i was around the same weight as you and the rear wheel spokes kept snapping. The local bike shop said that they use the cheapest spokes and things to keep the build cost down therefore more profit. he offered to rebuild the rear wheel with good quality spokes for the price of the spokes. Have done around 7000 miles now without any spokes snapping. Enough said.

Top Bottom