Am I to heavy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It sounds like a defective new wheel. Often modern bikes have sealed cartridge bearings which means the solution is a new wheel in this case. I would ask the shop to swap it out under warranty. As a test they could try a different wheel to confirm nothing else is causing the problem.
As I mentioned in the post that I linked to above, my hub has sealed bearings but it still has nuts and locknuts which can be tightened or loosened. Mine had come loose, which is what caused the rim to be able to move from side to side. On my first attempt at fixing the problem (without the use of cone spanners), I overtightened the hub and it would hardly turn after that. I found my cone spanners, did the job properly, and have had no problems since.

Alan O

Über Member
As I mentioned in the post that I linked to above, my hub has sealed bearings but it still has nuts and locknuts which can be tightened or loosened. Mine had come loose, which is what caused the rim to be able to move from side to side. On my first attempt at fixing the problem (without the use of cone spanners), I overtightened the hub and it would hardly turn after that. I found my cone spanners, did the job properly, and have had no problems since.
Yep, one of mine has wheels with sealed bearings too - it still has locknuts.

OP
OP
M

Micpr2

Thanks for all the responses.
I called the shop today and asked many questions,
He put my mind to rest as he explained how weight shouldn't be a issue with this certain bike, I'm going in to have a chat with the mechanic at the shop when im next off work so I will let you know what he says.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the problem is the same as the one that I had, it only takes a few seconds to check. Just whip the wheel out and check the locknuts on the hub. One of mine was so loose that it rattled!

I know that a new bike shouldn't have problems but TBH if I bought a bike with a simple problem that could be put right very easily, I would find it much less hassle to do it myself than to bother taking the bike back. (In this case, at least one thin spanner would be needed to hold the nut while the locknut was being tightened.)

User66445

One small point, I discovered after I bought my CF bike, was that the weight limit is your all up weight, which includes clothes (one hopes!) water, anything you and the bike are carrying in fact.

You may weigh 120 kg in the bathroom, but your weight on the bike is always going to be more.

groundy74

Definitely not your weight, I have a carbon road bike and in January weighed in at 19 stone and have had no issues with the bike. With the combination of a weight loss program and plenty of cycling I have reduced my weight to 14 stone 13lbs. I'd be looking at a full refund as bike obviously not fit for purpose, good luck

tommaguzzi

Über Member
18 st should not be a problem. i am thinking about those touring cyclists that take just about everything they own in bags and panniers hanging off front and rear panniers, handlebar and frame bags. i should think the all up weight of that lot even if the rider is say only 12 st would be around 18st or more and yet they ride big miles apparently without problems or they wouldnt be able to load so much gear on their bikes.

how about when you see a couple of yooofs flying down a hill and one is giving the other a backkie as we once called 'em, thats two 11st lads on what is usually a cheapo BSO and the wheels arn't collapsing.

so no 18st is not a problem for bikes.

Last edited:

User66445

That isn't true, it depends on the bike. To take your example, 114kg (OP weight) is over the limit for some, and if he did take the gear you suggest, 152 kg weight definitely so!

tommaguzzi

Über Member
avole.
you missed my point. i am not suggesting the OP goes touring, i am saying that the super heavy laden tourists i sometimes see must weigh a simiar all up weight to the OP who just wants to go riding naked so to speak.

User66445

And you miss my point. You made a blanket statement that 18 stone is not a problem for a bike. That isn't so it certainly exceeds some manufacturer's recommendations which are always for all up weight, plus, as you say, that 114 kg is nude weight and does not include clothes, shoes, water etc.

Mind you, I'd guess it is only the lightweight racing bikes where weights of over 100 kg is a problem.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I don't think the OP is going to be using a carbon race bike just yet.
Almost any other bike will be able to cope with his weight, especially since he is just starting out and will only be doing shorter rides until he gets fitter. Then he will have burned off 2 or 3 more stones and weight won't be an issue anyway.
Nice chatting with you :-)

ChrisPAmbulance

I was worried about the same thing when I started being in the 18-20 stone bracket. But I got a steel framed Ridgeback Voyage and have had few problems. the bike is a bit heavier than most roadies but it has proved to be extremely robust. 5 years on I'm still riding it, the only real problem I have had is cracking a wheel rim but that was more to do with riding over an embedded railway line with heavy panniers on the back than anything else.

Top Bottom