Am I too old to switch from Android to Apple (for mobile photography)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The Apple ecosystem requires that your laptop and tablet be Apple.

Ha ha ha ha ha - time to bin my Windows laptop after all these years then?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I got a refurbed iPhone 8 this year when my old Galaxy S2 died. It cost £99 from Argos. It is still accepting the latest updates and is on the latest iOS version. Worth considering a refurbed model if you don’t want to pay new prices.

byegad

Legendary Member
Having bought an ipod some 20 yrs ago, my experience was good, in that it worked and did what it should, I spent a lot of cash on audiobooks, music and the like. When it died (well the battery died and you can't replace it) some 16 yrs ago the attitude I got from their customer service was dire. First all the stuff I'd paid for would only work on apple devices, I didn't own any, and then, when I sourced another ipod, second hand, to regain my stuff they had no interest in helping me out. I am now exclusively android, I'm typing this on a Chromebook, and everything I've bought, including reference books on birding, audiobooks and music, is available across two android tablets, the Chromebook and two android phones (Huawie) .

Possibly Apple have improved but they took me for hundreds of pounds and they'll not get a penny more.

figbat

Slippery scientist
On Android it's very easy to copy photos on and off the phone as you just hook it up as a USB drive. On iPhone you *still* have to use the awful iTunes software.

iPhones do what they do but are locked down. There is no tweaking or changing them. You can't use a different camera app if you don't like the default camera.

As mentioned above, you can mount the iPhone as a USB drive and drag/drop as per any such device. Or you can go fetch the pictures (and plenty of other data) from your iCloud account via any browser.

You certainly can use other camera apps on an iPhone. For example on my iPhone Xs I have an app called "ProCamera", which offers a great deal of camera setting manipulation.

Much of what is being stated about the Apple universe appears to be hearsay or very outdated. I have become entangled in the Appleverse just through picking one many years ago (an iPhone 3G) and then sticking with it over the years. This now means the whole family have iPhones, iPads and we have a Macbook and Apple TV. We're not looking to tweak, fiddle or meddle, we just want it all to work seamlessly as a family group, across devices and it just does. Not to mention the older device support - the iPhone 8 runs the latest iOS, that's 5 generations newer than what it launched with 5 years ago.

tom73

Guru
I got a refurbed iPhone 8 this year when my old Galaxy S2 died. It cost £99 from Argos. It is still accepting the latest updates and is on the latest iOS version. Worth considering a refurbed model if you don’t want to pay new prices.

Official Apple refurbed stuff is basically brand new inc full 12 guarantee always good quality if you're looking to save a bit.

icowden

Veteran
As mentioned above, you can mount the iPhone as a USB drive and drag/drop as per any such device. Or you can go fetch the pictures (and plenty of other data) from your iCloud account via any browser.
As long as it fits into that generously sized 5gb of free iCloud data. Of course on a Pixel you get 15Gb of data and most of it isn't backing up your phone apps.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As long as it fits into that generously sized 5gb of free iCloud data. Of course on a Pixel you get 15Gb of data and most of it isn't backing up your phone apps.

or you just tidy up your photos from time to time. No one needs to keep every photo they ever took on their iPhone on their iPhone. Do some housekeeping now and again.

icowden

Veteran
or you just tidy up your photos from time to time. No one needs to keep every photo they ever took on their iPhone on their iPhone. Do some housekeeping now and again.
5Gb is only 2,500 photos. Shoot a video on your phone - half a gig gone. Yes, I agree that housekeeping is useful. However I have about 87Gb of photos and videos on my One Drive alone, with a further 434 Gb of photos and videos on my hard drive (backed up to a 3rd party backup solution). That's 104,325 photos and videos going back about 20 years.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
5Gb is only 2,500 photos. Shoot a video on your phone - half a gig gone. Yes, I agree that housekeeping is useful. However I have about 87Gb of photos and videos on my One Drive alone, with a further 434 Gb of photos and videos on my hard drive (backed up to a 3rd party backup solution). That's 104,325 photos and videos going back about 20 years.

How many of them do you look at a week?

icowden

Veteran
How many of them do you look at a week?
You're right. I should chuck them out along with my parents and grandparents photos as they have no value whatsoever.

Actually I am looking at uploading them all to my One Drive as one of the fantastic things about Google Photos is the way that they compile albums of photos from past years to remind you of cherished memories...

(and occasionally that you let your child save a lot of really stupid photos from a face changing app)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You're right. I should chuck them out along with my parents and grandparents photos as they have no value whatsoever.

They will be more select in the photos they kept. The problem of digital photography is that every crap photo you’ve taken is still kept, there’s no filter like there used to be.

tom73

Guru

Add in that App data is only backed up if you set it up that way 5gb will work just fine for many.
Le'ts face it even the 50gb plan won't break the bank. With an all Apple house backing up everything across 8 devices we've not come close to using all 50gb.

Top Bottom