Am sure this has been asked but SPD or SPD SL ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ah ok. I do have a tendency towards hot foot/burning foot particularly on long rides. LEL was a killer for it as it started on day 2 and almost caused me to give up. Was thinking these may help
Yep that's the shoes not the pedals.

PITA things (as the clip always hangs down) , stick with double sided :whistle:

I've said before about the 'autoflip' trick but the I learnt that with 'rat traps' back in the 1970s.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep that's the shoes not the pedals.

I've said before about the 'autoflip' trick but the I learnt that with 'rat traps' back in the 1970s.
I was only born in 1972 :unsure:

Doesn’t matter now as I’ve had to go back to flat pedals.
I have a box full of M520s and SPD shoes :rolleyes:

Slioch

Guru
Ah ok. I do have a tendency towards hot foot/burning foot particularly on long rides. LEL was a killer for it as it started on day 2 and almost caused me to give up. Was thinking these may help

I suffer from hot foot as well on longer rides, and use A520's specifically for the reason that I can unclip, flip the pedal round, and place a different part of the foot on the pedal. It really helps.

Flipping the pedal so that you can clip-in becomes second-nature after a while, so don't let the fact they've only got clips on one side put you off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I suffer from hot foot as well on longer rides, and use A520's specifically for the reason that I can unclip, flip the pedal round, and place a different part of the foot on the pedal. It really helps.

Flipping the pedal so that you can clip-in becomes second-nature after a while, so don't let the fact they've only got clips on one side put you off.
You can't do that with 520's are you thinking of 530's with the platform on the other side'

1594385759096.png

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Yeah but then you have to remember to carry them with you. Faff about putting them on etc :smile:
Mine are on shoes all the time. I have to walk round to the garage block to get bike.
I do have to remember to take them off before riding. Several times I've swung leg over just to remember I have cleat covers on and can't clip in.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After suffering from hot foot even after multiple different shoes I moved to SPD-SL and cured the problem. I still have SPD on a couple of bikes, but tend not to do long rides on them. My preference would be SPD for the reason stated up thread, but they did not work out for me. I will be sticking with SPD-SL style as I invested in a pedal power meter.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Stiffer soled shoes helps with foot comfort over LEL distances. The carbon soled ones are great and pretty much eliminate the hot foot.

GetFatty

Über Member
Stiffer soled shoes helps with foot comfort over LEL distances. The carbon soled ones are great and pretty much eliminate the hot foot.
Unfortunately my shoes are carbon soled. I put it down to the smaller contact point. Help from people on here around regularly moving the cleats around got me through LEL but it hurt :sad:

Or you could go towards the terminally tarty option of Speedplay pedals and cleats, only 137 quid for the pedals ( cheap ones) 280 quid for titanium and 60 quid every time you wear the cleats out. I use them on my road bike you can play with "float" to your hearts content, I like them a lot you are very definetely in or out of them and i can clip in even faster than spd for those sprint of the lights days.. I use spd on my CX and MTB I find them a bit "vague" . I used SPD-L a long time ago useless for commuting for me I was always kicking them upside down normal riding they were fine. Speedplay just step down and off you go and not much chance of puling out of them. Big warning though, if you get grit behind the cleat spring you will have a bugger of a job to get out of them. Happened to me twice, had to find a soft hedge to stop in. Oh and you either have ot find 4 bolt options shoes which are rare or use a 3 bolt to 4 bolt adaptor which is what most people do.

Top Bottom