amazing cycle video on youtube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bottlemsher

Über Member
Report this moron to the Police

Cyclist33

Yeah it was a pretty bad reaction but the road rage was started by the cyclist in this case. He got all petulant coz the van wasn't coming out quickly enough for his liking - which meant he had to brake... you can hear him shout "Go on then!"... I mean the van was pulling out sensibly enough I think. He then slapped the van as he attempted to go past.

I'm not excusing the van driver's subsequent behaviour but it probably stemmed from the cyclist's behaviour.

Cyc

Svendo

Guru
I think the van was chancing it and failing to give way when he pulled out, and cyclist had to brake significantly.

festival

Über Member
Cyclist33 said:
Yeah it was a pretty bad reaction but the road rage was started by the cyclist in this case. He got all petulant coz the van wasn't coming out quickly enough for his liking - which meant he had to brake...

I suggest you watch the film again.
If you still think the same, shame on you.

Coco

There is no way that driver should have pulled out when he did. His subsequent driving is similarly appalling.

kewb

shocking , it wont be long before someone's killed by one of these idiots .

you can see the van is pulling out but the cyclist avoids collision only to be forced into gutter the van driver who couldve just carried on in his driving position instead of swerving in like that surely .

Cyclist33

Watched it again twice and I haven't changed my mind. Clearly the van driver intends to come out, the cyclist leaves him only enough space to join the traffic at the cyclist's pace, although the van is at a standstill so realistically - and safely - could only have pulled out at the speed it did. You can clearly see that the van veers towards the kerb after the cyclist has yelled out in road rage (yes, it is) and as the cyclist attempts to slot into the margin, IMO unreasonably, and slaps the backside of the van.

In my view the cyclist didn't brake enough or give enough clearance to let the van out - it's clear the rider intended the van to pull out in front as he had left some gap for it to do so - but not enough. I think the cyclist misjudged the distance and speeds and then had a hissy fit (by his own admission on the last note).

Cyc

Svendo

Guru
If the cyclist (Number14 poster) ever intend to let the van out why did he 'have a hissy fit' slap the van and then post it on Youtube? I think the cyclist involved has made it clear in the other thread that he had to brake hard as the van pulled out in front of him with insufficient room, not because he'd waved it out or ever intended to let it out.

In any case that still doesn't absolve the van driver from responsibility for judging the safety of his own manouver. The gap looks like about 2 car lengths but it can be hard to judge from videos.

With 20/20 hindsight it's easy to say he'd have been better off not slapping the van and just putting up with the driver's failure to give way as the highway code states, but in the heat of the moment it's easy to react. And the cyclist states he slapped the van to make sure it was aware he was there and fend it off, as well as out of frustration at crap driving.

None of this then excuses the driver throwing the bottle and using his van as an 'offensive weapon', slowing down and pulling out, then swerving over to the curb.

Cyclist33 said:
Watched it again twice and I haven't changed my mind. Clearly the van driver intends to come out, the cyclist leaves him only enough space to join the traffic at the cyclist's pace, although the van is at a standstill so realistically - and safely - could only have pulled out at the speed it did.

Doesn't that just mean that van intended to pull out regardless, and did so into a space that simply wasn't big enough?

Cyclist33 said:
In my view the cyclist didn't brake enough or give enough clearance to let the van out - it's clear the rider intended the van to pull out in front as he had left some gap for it to do so - but not enough.

I (genuinely) don't understand why the cyclist should be expected to brake or let the van out - they might have chosen to, in the way that people sometimes do if a vehicle is trying to join slow moving traffic from a side street, but I can't see any reason to think that this was the case or should have been the expectation in this instance. How is it clear the the cyclist intended the van driver to pull out? Because he wasn't tailgating the vehicle in front?

Cyclist33 said:
Yeah it was a pretty bad reaction but the road rage was started by the cyclist in this case. He got all petulant coz the van wasn't coming out quickly enough for his liking - which meant he had to brake... you can hear him shout "Go on then!"... I mean the van was pulling out sensibly enough I think. He then slapped the van as he attempted to go past.

I'm not excusing the van driver's subsequent behaviour but it probably stemmed from the cyclist's behaviour.

Cyc

I can only assume that either you haven't been riding a bike for very long or you don't ride on the roads! ;)

zexel

Veteran
Cyclist33 said:
Watched it again twice and I haven't changed my mind. Clearly the van driver intends to come out, the cyclist leaves him only enough space to join the traffic at the cyclist's pace, although the van is at a standstill so realistically - and safely - could only have pulled out at the speed it did. You can clearly see that the van veers towards the kerb after the cyclist has yelled out in road rage (yes, it is) and as the cyclist attempts to slot into the margin, IMO unreasonably, and slaps the backside of the van.

In my view the cyclist didn't brake enough or give enough clearance to let the van out - it's clear the rider intended the van to pull out in front as he had left some gap for it to do so - but not enough. I think the cyclist misjudged the distance and speeds and then had a hissy fit (by his own admission on the last note).

Cyc

Are you sure!

"didn't give enough clearance to let the van out"...the van is waiting at a junction..he is supposed to give way.

You're having a troll surely ;)

I can quite understand the cyclist's initial reaction to the van driver's manoeuvre, but what I do not get is why he then wants to argue the toss with the van driver. I would not have got anywhere near the van and thus removed from the driver the option of squeezing me into the kerb. In any event the cyclist will always lose a battle between himself and a large, weighty metal box, so why choose to put yourself at risk by wanting to 'put your point over to the driver'. Is the other party ever going to listen rationally and say, "You are absolutely correct; my driving is awful. Please accept my profound apologies and a promise that I will never do anything similar ever again"? Not likely, so why risk a physical confrontation?

Top Bottom