Amazon Echo Dot unit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
My son has one and advised me to get one while Black Friday is on: £34.99 instead of £49.99. Is it really worth having one in the house? What exactly do you use it for? I am no expert on technology so would like your opinion if you have one.

Drago

Legendary Member
I like mine very much - I call her Orac. Its linked to speakers in the ceiling and an amp in the loft via bluetooth.

News, radio, weather, wiki, random questions answered instantly. Mrs D pays then extra £7 a month for Amazon plus (or extra, or whatever its called) which gives access to a vast music library.

I'm a witch burning, flat earth loving technophobe, but I love it. Once set up its uber easy to use - you simply speak to the damn thing!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have one that I chat to in the kitchen.... we have a frustrating relationship.... she doesn't always understand me, but will happily obey my husband.... so sometimes I have to get him to add things to the shopping list...."yeast" is one of our problem purchases with one time she added "used to be lovely" instead!:laugh: I also have some chino eggs on my list! Mr Summerdays says I'm too polite to her (I can't help but add please etc).

He has one too that he uses to play music and turn on lights.

Gary E

Veteran
I spoke to my neighbour the other day and asked him if he could hear my Turbo. He said no, he couldn't hear the Turbo but what he often heard was me singing along at the top of my voice to music he couldn't hear (I wear bluetooth headphones so that my music doesn't annoy the neighbours as I ride with the windows open) and he often heard me yelling/swearing at Alexa!

Drago

Legendary Member
Who knows? I'm very careful not to read out bank details or dates of birth when she's listening. From what I read smart phones present a similar risk, and that doesn't seem to worry anyone (other than me).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 5044673, member: 45"]What about the listening risk? Anything in it?[/QUOTE]
When we first installed Alexa we were having a conversation in the kitchen when Alexa suddenly butted into ask if she should put it in my Amazon basket. That option was instantly disabled! Otherwise she now has to listen to my dreadful singing when we are alone together in the kitchen:whistle:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Following my son's advice, I am going to get 3 of them from Google. Apparently, the Google one works better with Android phones. £15 each cheaper at the moment.

Drago

Legendary Member
If there are, I've not found them. Create an appointment, order something, request a song, do anything, and it shows up on my android tablet before Alexa has even finished confirming the request. Very fast interface with Android, no niggles whatsoever.

AndyRM

XOXO
If there are, I've not found them. Create an appointment, order something, request a song, do anything, and it shows up on my android tablet before Alexa has even finished confirming the request. Very fast interface with Android, no niggles whatsoever.

Hold on, the King of Smartphone Haters has both Alexa and a tablet?!

I'm glad I was sitting to receive this news.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, a nice big tablet that deliberately won't fit in my pocket. Its 4g too! Its just smart phones that I don't dig.

The Alexa thing was a gift from Mrs D, but dispite my initial scepticism I like rather a lot. I'm trying to persuade Mrs D to let me buy a smart kettle that Alexa can commamd for me

Top Bottom