Amazon Prime?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Until now I have ignored promptings to try Amazon Prime free for a month, but having just looked at details, it seems it may be worth the £79 / year (£6.58 / month) they charge.

I find Amazon free delivery very prompt so to pay for the rapid delivery would not be worth it; however, the full range of benefits is as follows:

• Unlimited FREE One-Day Delivery on millions of eligible items
  • Unlimited streaming of more than 15,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video
  • Free unlimited photo storage with anywhere access
  • Borrow from thousands of Kindle titles for free
  • Read one of four pre-release Kindle Books for FREE each month
  • No minimum order size
  • Share your delivery benefits
The TV and photo storage features are attracting me most. But a couple of questions occur to me, i.e. can you get more than one user profile for the TV service? (Netflix allows 3 user profiles per account) Do they have top shows like Netflix? How good is the stored photo access? (I currently have a Flickr account - Flickr now owned by Yahoo - and it is not easy to use, although it is free). No doubt other questions would occur at different times of the day.

Looking at past threads it appears some people have had problems cancelling after a free month's trial but that was about 3 years ago and there doesn't appear to be much about the general quality of the service and its various features. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what they think.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
We compared Netflix & Prime in this thread a bit ago;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/best-films-on-net-flix.171982/post-3460546

But a couple of questions occur to me, i.e. can you get more than one user profile for the TV service?
Nope. Not only that, but for anyone else to use the service, they need the Amazon user account & password. Which has the world's largest shop behind it. Hmm.
Do they have top shows like Netflix?
Yes! And they have some good originals too. My feeling is that Netflix is ahead still (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, all seasons of the US Office) but if Amazon has the things you want (Bosch, Black Sails, Constantine...) that doesn't matter. Amazon seem to have a lot of season ones viewable for free, with chargeable subsequent seasons. It may not be a deliberate strategy, but it can look like it at times. (Sleepy Hollow, Arrow, Revolution...)

subaqua

What’s the point
we have it mainly for the free next day delivery. which was brilliant at Christmas, and has been this week with rewards for the kids for good school reports.

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

We compared Netflix & Prime in this thread a bit ago;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/best-films-on-net-flix.171982/post-3460546

Nope. Not only that, but for anyone else to use the service, they need the Amazon user account & password. Which has the world's largest shop behind it. Hmm.

Yes! And they have some good originals too. My feeling is that Netflix is ahead still (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, all seasons of the US Office) but if Amazon has the things you want (Bosch, Black Sails, Constantine...) that doesn't matter. Amazon seem to have a lot of season ones viewable for free, with chargeable subsequent seasons. It may not be a deliberate strategy, but it can look like it at times. (Sleepy Hollow, Arrow, Revolution...)

Thanks for that, from what you say it seems you have to pay over and above your subscription for TV shows and films, whereas with Netflix all you pay is your subs, think I'll give Prime a miss, unless Netflix start doing the same and it becomes worth it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have prime and yes its pretty good.
son in law keeps telling me how good Breaking Bad is ...which isn't on Amazon grrr

tho he cant watch Underbelly which I liked on prime..swings and round things I guess

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have prime. Its really good. Next day delivery, free books, etc. And of course streaming of programmes and films is brilliant. Prime is well worth the cost in my opinion, although I have no doubt some will disagree.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've been in Prime for a few years and the cost has gone up, but so have the benefits. Free photo storage was a big one for me, and the TV is probably worth the <£7/month on its own. Free delivery only applies to some items but if you are ordering from Amazon a couple of times a month and don't want to hang around for days for a delivery it is worth it on its own too.

I'm in the middle of a trial for the movies. Like many users my otherwise brilliant 5.1 system isn't getting the signal it thinks it is, and with no speech to the centre speaker it's time to turn up the volume and rattle the windows with background to hear the voices.
It may be isolated to PS3 users - I'll know when the home theatre PC is built in a couple of months. But if Netflix has no problems they'll get my money.

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Free photo storage was a big one for me, and the TV is probably worth the <£7/month on its own.

The photo storage appeals to me, but I wonder what happens if you close your account and if you could make everything migrate to an alternative.

The TV and movies is one of the items that attracts me, but if you have to pay more again it might end up paying quite a bit more than £7 a month whereas I thought it would be like Netflix where you pay one fee per month and that's it.

Have had prime for a couple of years (think it was £50 the first year). Some good TV shows on there and movies, many are included in the fee. Ripper Street season 3 is a prime exclusive and Constantine is included. All in addition to next day delivery and that seems to be anything ordered thats in Amazon stock up to late afternoon.

Tin Pot

Guru
How do you get the free kindle access?

I googled it a few times but got the impression it was discontinued.

Didn't know about free photo storage either - does it work with iPhones (im guessing not!)

Top Bottom