Amazon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I was given an amazon voucher as a pressie so i looked at muddy fox cycling top at 34 pounds, looked on sports direct and it was only 9 pound !!!! guess where i ordered it from :dry:

That is a difficult one. Can not think straight after a heavy meal.

Blue

Legendary Member
Aye, but the voucher is still available for even more cycling gear - there is always a silver lining.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
So you spent 9 quid of your own money rather than the voucher?

A logical move. The voucher can be assimilated into disposable cash for purchasing goodies. Its full value is still available for spending. Nothing lost, twenty three pounds gained.

I once walked into town instead of catching the bus.

My son pointed out that if I'd walked into town instead of catching a taxi I'd have saved six pounds fifty.....

Last edited:

vernon

Muddy Fox is a budget brand so it's fairly unlikely that £34 was the real price.

All brands have a budget manufacturing price. All well known brands have an inflated 'real price' to meet the expectations and vanities of the fashionistas.

An acquaintance of mine's company transformed market stall priced priced leather jackets into stratospherically priced leather jackets simply by sewing the premium brand's label inside. It was a legitimate operation done, ironically, to reduce the number of counterfeit jackets that would have appeared had the label sewing taken place at the source of manufacture in India. Minor adjustments to the sewing were also performed to meet quality control demands. The ones whose shoddy workmanship could not be adjusted to premium brand quality were sold at market stall prices and still made a decent profit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All brands have a budget manufacturing price. All well known brands have an inflated 'real price' to meet the expectations and vanities of the fashionistas.

An acquaintance of mine's company transformed market stall priced priced leather jackets into stratospherically priced leather jackets simply by sewing the premium brand's label inside. It was a legitimate operation done, ironically, to reduce the number of counterfeit jackets that would have appeared had the label sewing taken place at the source of manufacture in India. Minor adjustments to the sewing were also performed to meet quality control demands. The ones whose shoddy workmanship could not be adjusted to premium brand quality were sold at market stall prices and still made a decent profit.

Quite what that has to do with a cheap cycling shirt I don't know but trading standards might be interested in your friend's company relabeling jackets with a premium tag. As for "reducing the number of counterfeit jackets that would have appeared". Come on Vern.

vernon

Quite what that has to do with a cheap cycling shirt I don't know but trading standards might be interested in your friend's company relabeling jackets with a premium tag. As for "reducing the number of counterfeit jackets that would have appeared". Come on Vern.

He was employed by the premium brand as a finishing company. They were premium brand jackets that didn't become premium brand jackets until the labels were sewn in and any defective stitching corrected. Ones that didn't meet spec were sold on market stalls. As for reducing the counterfeits - it meant that the company could control the numbers better in the UK rather than at the factory gates in India. The label supply and count was stringently and regularly audited.

The manufacturing costs of premium brand and non premium brand goods are virtually identical only the perceived value of a brand adds a premium brand price to the cost price - something that the vain and affluent are prepared to pay for and the cost conscious and slobs aren't.

Retailers will charge whatever they think they can get away with. Sports Direct buy in bulk and discount heavily and still make a handsome profit. I bet the Amazon retailer buys at a not too dissimilar price and elects to sell at a price that they guage that their customers will bear.

Any clearer now?

Last edited:
He was employed by the premium brand as a finishing company. They were premium brand jackets that didn't become premium brand jackets until the labels were sewn in and any defective stitching corrected. Ones that didn't meet spec were sold on market stalls.

The manufacturing costs of premium brand and non premium brand goods are virtually identical only the perceived value of a brand adds a premium brand price to the cost price - something that the vain and affluent are prepared to pay for and the cost conscious and slobs aren't.

Any clearer now?

I have given up making it clear to people. The marketing people have been very successful in brainwashing large part of our population.

Top Bottom