Ambiguous junctions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
At a junction that resembles a cross roads, where two minor roads are directly opposite each other and both lead onto a main road. Each minor road has white stop lines telling the vehicles to give way to all traffic on the main road.

If two vehicles are on these minor roads, opposite one another, one turning right onto the main road and the other wanting to go straight on into the opposite minor road.

Which vehicle should give way to the other?

priorities-crossroads-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
The one wanting to turn right.

D

Deleted member 1258

The driver going straight across has priority, but most drivers haven't got a clue about this, both in the car and on the bike I'd exercise caution and try and be certain about who's doing what before proceeding.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The driver going straight across has priority, but most drivers haven't got a clue about this, both in the car and on the bike I'd exercise caution and try and be certain about who's doing what before proceeding.
This. I try to play charades to make it bloody clear to the oncoming driver and get some visible acknowledgement if I can see past their reflection (even if it's only that they're going to wait because they think I'm some sort of maniac).

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Priorities
"The general rule for priorities when emerging from crossroads is that right turning traffic should give way to oncoming traffic. The vehicle with the priority in the following examples is the same as if the two minor side roads were one major road, however do not assume that the other driver will comply."

priorities-crossroads.jpg

priority-over-vehicles.jpg

https://www.learnerdriving.com/ld-system/driving-lessons/crossroads.htm

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

They have. The general standard of driving in this country is higher than we give credit for. The actions of a minority can cloud one's view (Cyclists running red lights, for example) to the fact that most people are safe and considerate.

Your point about excercising caution is one I'd agree with fully, never trust anyone to do something until you see them actually do it.

alicat

Legendary Member
I stand by my earlier view in theory but in practice round here the vehicle that arrived first usually goes first, especially if it's two cars.

Top Bottom