Amsterdam Airport and arriving with a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Any one used Amsterdam Airport to start off their adventure?

Is there a place to go and rebuild your Bike when you arrive? and what do you do with the Box if you are not coming back that way?

Sparkyman

Also anyone used any of the Rome Airports and advice on if they sell bike box's

Sparkyman

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Any one used Amsterdam Airport to start off their adventure?
Yes

Is there a place to go and rebuild your Bike when you arrive?

No, just use the space in front of the check-in desks.

what do you do with the Box if you are not coming back that way?

Either:

a. lie it flat on the ground, or
b. lean it against a wall

and walk away.

willem

Über Member
No problem whatsoever. Remember, this is probably the world's top bicycle carrying airport.
Willem

Haitch

Flim Flormally
sparkyman said:
Is there a place to go and rebuild your Bike when you arrive? and what do you do with the Box if you are not coming back that way?

Am I right in thinking you are arriving in Amsterdam with your bike in a box and then connecting to another flight (to Rome?).

If so, can't you through-ticket the bike so that it gets put on your connecting flight with the rest of your luggage? If this is not possible can't you just push your bike from arrivals to departures while it is still in the box?

Or am I thinking too much?

willem

Über Member
If you are flying from the UK to Amsterdam, why not take one of the ferries instead? Hook of Holland Harwich is very cheap if you buy the tickets well in advance, and it is very convenient with a bike.
Willem

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Alan H said:
Am I right in thinking you are arriving in Amsterdam with your bike in a box and then connecting to another flight (to Rome?).

If so, can't you through-ticket the bike so that it gets put on your connecting flight with the rest of your luggage? If this is not possible can't you just push your bike from arrivals to departures while it is still in the box?

Or am I thinking too much?

I am flying in from Blackpool then cycling to Rome.. so will need bike;) three week holiday

I asked about the box as not the type to just litter (bloody big litter too).

sparkyman

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
willem said:
If you are flying from the UK to Amsterdam, why not take one of the ferries instead? Hook of Holland Harwich is very cheap if you buy the tickets well in advance, and it is very convenient with a bike.
Willem

This was my first choice but the cost of trains in the UK is stupid.. flight cost me £53 inc the bike.

Sparkyman

sparkyman said:
I am flying in from Blackpool then cycling to Rome.. so will need bike;) three week holiday

I asked about the box as not the type to just litter (bloody big litter too).

sparkyman

I benifited from that sort of litter flying out of Malaga - box was not big enough but was a starter for ten

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's really easy. No, nowhere special to rebuild but it's a massive airport so you can find a corner. My bike box got trashed in the rain when I arrived and I left it propped neatly against a bin.

I LOVE Schiphol...there's a fab supermarket place in it which does wonderful cakes!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Cathryn said:
I LOVE Schiphol...

Schiphol is a really friendly airport: one terminal, departures upstairs, arrivals downstairs, railway station in the basement. Couldn't be simpler.

When we landed there with our bikes in boxes we waited till they came up on the luggage carrousel and then asked where we could rebuild them. "Anywhere you want," came the reply so we moved to one side and put them back together again. "Where can we leave the boxes?" we asked. "Anywhere you want." So we leaned them against a wall and wheeled the bikes through customs and out into the rain.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Alan H said:
Schiphol is a really friendly airport: one terminal, departures upstairs, arrivals downstairs, railway station in the basement. Couldn't be simpler.

When we landed there with our bikes in boxes we waited till they came up on the luggage carrousel and then asked where we could rebuild them. "Anywhere you want," came the reply so we moved to one side and put them back together again. "Where can we leave the boxes?" we asked. "Anywhere you want." So we leaned them against a wall and wheeled the bikes through customs and out into the rain.

Cant Imagin doing that in a UK airport ... :biggrin:

Sparkyman

U

User169

The last time I came through Schiphol by plane there was an enormous elephant tusk endlessly circulating on an otherwise empty carrousel.

Domestique

Über Member
Ok it looks as though my local airport, Southend, is about to start flying to Amsterdam with Easyjet. Leaving the UK would be no problem, getting box for bikes etc. Once in Holland unpack and leave.
I was thinking about the return trip to the UK, Holland being the bicycle nirvana and all, is it possible to buy a bike box at the airport?

Edit - I have just had a look around and found some details here, bicycle boxes, which seem to answer my question.

Top Bottom