Amy Pieters in Induced Coma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm torn between thinking 'Fantastic' and being utterly heartbroken for her too.

I think the difference between sinking into depression and making as best a recovery as you can is to focus on where you are and what you can do, and not where you were and could do. Though I don’t know how much she recalls of what she could do even if she watches the footage.

Steeler

Über Member
Speaking from personal experience (without any medical qualification) it would appear that Amy has damaged the part of her brain that deals with speech. I was able to speak after coming out of a coma following a cycle accident but after 15 years I still have problems remembering words or using the wrong words for even the most common things at times so I guess that might be a major long term problem for her.

As for memory, brain injury tends to affect recent memories - I could (and can) still remember my first day at school and other early life stuff during therapy sessions but memories in the months before my accident are still rather foggy. When I was in residential rehab after my injury there was a woman who had suffered a brain incident during child birth so although she had no obvious physical injuries, her short term memory was badly affected. She couldn't remember the name of her baby daughter (who was being cared for by her sister) and on one occasion she went in to the rehab unit kitchen to make drinks for a group of us but came back a couple of minutes later not only having forgotten the drinks order but also why she was even in the kitchen!

However I would be a little more optimistic about Amies physical recovery and future mobility even though it may be a long road.
Fingers crossed for Amy.

Top Bottom