Amy Pieters in Induced Coma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member

"If she can lead a decent life, I hope she wakes up," Stam told Dutch newspaper AD.

Utterly heartbreaking.

Steeler

Über Member
"The doctors say 'as long as she doesn't do things on command, she's not awake and we can't wake her'."
From personal experience, that doesn't mean that she doesn't have some awareness of her situation (I remember thinking/dreaming that I was in a medical equipment showroom as part of the customer display) and coming out of a coma isn't like an on/off switch so I would still be hopeful for a positive outcome.

Steeler

Über Member
It is excellent news if she continues to make significant progress.

It would be my definition of a living hell though to regain just enough consciousness to understand exactly how awful the situation is but then never progress further... :sad:

Reading the latest news from the team website I'd be more hopeful.
She's getting some specialized intensive neurorehabilitation, and it sounds as though she is making progress, is aware of her situation and is responding to the treatment. All good news.

Steeler

Über Member
After watching this and reading the Cyclingtips article I would feel a little more optimistic and the fact that she is allowed home at weekends would mean that she no longer needs 24 hour medical/nursing care. When she is transferred to the rehab unit I would expect further progress with intensive physiotherapy, speech & language therapy etc. Long way to go yet but it looks promising to me. Good luck Amy.

Top Bottom