An alternative to a backpack or panniers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've been commuting to work for the past 4 years by bike, mostly with a backpack. I tried panniers for a short while, but I didn't really like them. I only had my laptop and change of clothes in my backpack as I leave my trainers or steelies and tools at work. Up until last week, my work laptop doubled up as my personal laptop, but due to cyber essentials and a few other reasons, my work laptop is being locked down. I am losing my admin privileges (one of the very few people outside of IT with admin privileges) and the ability to do anything non-work related/fun on my machine. So for the first time in years, I purchased a laptop for myself and my work laptop can stay at the office. Now there is no need for a backpack. Last week, I began using my 6 litre bikepacking saddlebag, and it's wonderful. No overly sweaty back and just the freedom that comes with nothing on your back. Commute has been slightly quicker, but that might also be due to a tailwind. My 6 litre is perfect fit for jeans, tshirt, spare tube/tools. My 12 litre if I need to take a clean hoodie to the office. If I take lunch, it fits into my top tube bag.
Now it won't work for everyone. Some people have to wear something a bit more business-like than jeans/shorts and a tshirt, or need to take more than just a change of clothe/lunch. But for those who want an option that isn't a pannier or backpack, a small saddlebag might just do the trick.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been commuting to work for the past 4 years by bike, mostly with a backpack. I tried panniers for a short while, but I didn't really like them. I only had my laptop and change of clothes in my backpack as I leave my trainers or steelies and tools at work. Up until last week, my work laptop doubled up as my personal laptop, but due to cyber essentials and a few other reasons, my work laptop is being locked down. I am losing my admin privileges (one of the very few people outside of IT with admin privileges) and the ability to do anything non-work related/fun on my machine. So for the first time in years, I purchased a laptop for myself and my work laptop can stay at the office. Now there is no need for a backpack. Last week, I began using my 6 litre bikepacking saddlebag, and it's wonderful. No overly sweaty back and just the freedom that comes with nothing on your back. Commute has been slightly quicker, but that might also be due to a tailwind. My 6 litre is perfect fit for jeans, tshirt, spare tube/tools. My 12 litre if I need to take a clean hoodie to the office. If I take lunch, it fits into my top tube bag.
Now it won't work for everyone. Some people have to wear something a bit more business-like than jeans/shorts and a tshirt, or need to take more than just a change of clothe/lunch. But for those who want an option that isn't a pannier or backpack, a small saddlebag might just do the trick.
why a small saddlebag,

:becool:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It would work for me, I carry a laptop, a shirt and my pants. I keep work trousers at work and use the local drycleaners.

I use a courier bag currently, I'm determined to keep using it until it absolutely wears out (I've had a go at it with the sewing kit and glue a couple of times)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Did tjose panniera cost more than the bartape?
It was black originally. :becool:

I've had some new tape for a few years but I cannot decide whether to leave those brake levers on or swap to a set without the 'suicide' extension gubbins. The plan was to try and have a small tour last year to test carrying the tent above the stem (it has 3 straps in the outer bag to affix it) or sling it underneath as it should fit but I had a bit of trouble with my bad leg so never got out to test it. :sad:

Reactions: mjr

dodgy

I have a Carradice SQR Slim and it is one of the most amazing bicycle accessories I've ever bought. Completely changed my way of thinking with respect to cycle commuting. Bought 5 years ago and it still looks brand new. I have no idea why regular cycle commuters use panniers instead of this little marvel.
1582657589304.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom