An appeal to the kind hearted cyclists of North East England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
Hello folks,

I've recently became involved with an organisation in Sunderland called FODI (Friends Of the Drop In). This local charity offer support and advice to Asylum Seekers and Refugees living in and around Sunderland and it's fair to say they do a fantastic job on a shoestring budget.
Today I witnessed a ex member of the Iranian, Olympic Cycling Team reduced almost to tears having been given a bike by FODI volunteers. I might add that this was an very basic, woman's bike that had seen better days but his gratitude was quite humbling.
I'm now in the process of digging out any bike gear I can spare with a view to passing it on to people who will use it and really appreciate it. If anyone else locally has spare gear they no longer use or indeed old bikes / bike parts they could donate, FODI would be over the moon to receive anything. A number of the volunteers have extensive cycling knowledge so fixing up any donations wouldn't be a problem.
If any of you decent folk out there have anything you feel could be of use, please PM me and I'll arrange to have it picked up. I know times are tough but some of the people FODI work with have faced more tough times than we could even begin to imagine. if it is sitting around gathering dust it could be put to good use. Please, let's show how generous the people of North East England really are.

thanks in advance,

Mick

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not got anything 'to go' just yet, but I will bookmark this post in case I do. Nice one. I'm in Northumberland, and I'll spread the word to my cycling friends too. :thumbsup:

AndyRM

XOXO
I've some bits and pieces you can have. I'll drop you a PM when I've got things a bit more sorted.

Another place which might be able to help is Recyk'Y'Bike, I know they do charitable work with an African charity. Also maybe get in touch with The Cycle Hub on Newcastle Quayside as they are a friendly and helpful bunch.

Don't know much about cycling in Sunderland, but Newcastle isn't much of a mission!

tfc03

Veteran
Might be worth contacting all the clubs. Is it Clarion in Sunderland? Gosforth Road Club in Newcastle has about 200 members someone will have something in their shed. Maybe also try the Universities- Sunderland first port of call but Northumbria and Newcastle may also have bikes. I know Newcastle Uni puts notices on any not moved for a while and removes them from racks but I don't know what they do with them. Presumably all Unis do the same. Students start leaving in the next 2 weeks or so and I'll bet a lot of clunkers are abandoned on racks rather than taken home. Maybe contact Sunderland Uni and see if they will do something for you- good PR for them.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello folks,

I've recently became involved with an organisation in Sunderland called FODI (Friends Of the Drop In). This local charity offer support and advice to Asylum Seekers and Refugees living in and around Sunderland and it's fair to say they do a fantastic job on a shoestring budget.
Today I witnessed a ex member of the Iranian, Olympic Cycling Team reduced almost to tears having been given a bike by FODI volunteers. I might add that this was an very basic, woman's bike that had seen better days but his gratitude was quite humbling.
I'm now in the process of digging out any bike gear I can spare with a view to passing it on to people who will use it and really appreciate it. If anyone else locally has spare gear they no longer use or indeed old bikes / bike parts they could donate, FODI would be over the moon to receive anything. A number of the volunteers have extensive cycling knowledge so fixing up any donations wouldn't be a problem.
If any of you decent folk out there have anything you feel could be of use, please PM me and I'll arrange to have it picked up. I know times are tough but some of the people FODI work with have faced more tough times than we could even begin to imagine. if it is sitting around gathering dust it could be put to good use. Please, let's show how generous the people of North East England really are.

thanks in advance,

Mick

Hi Mick. Its nice to see people getting involved in this way. Well done for taking the time to help others. Hope everything goes well.

OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
Just a quick update and a huge thanks to @jongooligan. So far we've had pledges of gear and clothing from a number of generous CC members which are much appreciated.
I was contacted by @jongooligan at the weekend and today we met in Washington. He has donated a really high quality mountain bike with spares and a couple of cycle helmets.
I took along a guy called Jim Fox who is a very influential member of the FODI group. We both taken aback by this unbelievably kind gesture, it is far better than we could have hoped for or expected. Further more, we both agreed that this act of kindness had in some small way reaffirmed our belief that there are still a lot of decent, right minded people in the world.
The bike @jongooligan donated will go to the Iranian Olympian and the bike he was given last week will go to the next person on the list. Not only will he have a better bike, he'll have a helmet, as will the person who gets the other bike. This donation will make a significant difference and I'd just like to publicly extend thanks from FODI.

MICK

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Great work Mick and others...:thumbsup:
Its such a shame I didnt spot this thread a few months ago; Ive given away a great revolution trailer bike and Giant Animator childs bike to the local charity shop...they could have been a boon to any children of Asylum Seekers and Refugees....
Another source of cheap bikes is the local recycling centre shops...they refurbish bikes that are dumped by the public and sell them at silly prices-its surprising what you can find..I'll keep my eyes open for any presentabe ones

I will soon be having an old mountain bike which you can have but we're down on London. It works perfectly well but is a bit of a BSO!

Yours if you want to collect it.

Top Bottom