An automatic two-speed SingleSpeed - oh my!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

rhm

When I was at the SPIN London exhibition on Saturday with @dktd @deptfordmarmoset @Mice (and others no doubt) I was quite taken by what at first looked like a SingleSpeed that did in fact have two gears. The idea (and practise) being that you start off in a nice easy gear and once you breach 9mph the hub 'auto-changes' into a higher gear.

I gave it a whirl and was really impressed. Am I being a total bumpkin for being so impressed by this? This potentially solves the problem of having to have my SS so highly geared.

I've written about it a bit on my bike blog...

And it's a fixed gear? If so, I'd like to try that.

Sturmey Archer now offers a fixed gear three speed hub, S3X, along the lines of their classic ASC hub from 60 years ago. I have the S3X on one of my bikes and I like it a lot. But it is more like riding a three speed hub than like riding a fixed gear. There's just enough slop in the hub that one can't do track stands or the like, so I don't get quite the same feeling of connection to the road as I do with a simple fixed gear; and having three gears to chose from, I don't have the fixed gear mindset that I must strain to maintain a decent cadence and hammer up every hill. So as much fun as the S3X is, it doesn't actually seem to add to the fixed gear experience.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Sturmey Archer now offers a fixed gear three speed hub, S3X, along the lines of their classic ASC hub from 60 years ago. I have the S3X on one of my bikes and I like it a lot. But it is more like riding a three speed hub than like riding a fixed gear. There's just enough slop in the hub that one can't do track stands or the like, so I don't get quite the same feeling of connection to the road as I do with a simple fixed gear; and having three gears to chose from, I don't have the fixed gear mindset that I must strain to maintain a decent cadence and hammer up every hill. So as much fun as the S3X is, it doesn't actually seem to add to the fixed gear experience.

Nah, it was SS

stevevw

Guru

Don't worry when your change dog wears out on the S3X and you can only use high 95" you will soon remember to hammer up every hill. Oh and the 13 week wait for a new dog to arrive from SA will be good exercise for you too.

Reactions: rhm
Top Bottom