An e-bike changed my life... Positive story for once.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

What have you otdered?
Cube Acid Hybrid 500 2020 model

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cube Acid Hybrid 500 2020 model

New bosch motor model, you are going to love that.
No resistance when motor cuts out:smile:

My trek hard tail has the old motor which drags over 15.5mph and as i often ride over that you do feel it.

Have fun:okay:

mustang1

Guru
+1 to e-bikes. I have no.problem with them or the riders (even though I do not have one).

I encourage others (non cyclists) to get into e-bikes but they tell me they don't see the point. They will one day.

In December last year, I was 86kg which for me is very overweight and hadn't ridden properly in 15 years. I joined a gym in January, went on a diet and...bought an eMTB.

By my 50th birthday at the end of March, I was down to 68kg and felt great. I was thoroughly enjoying my cycling and finding I could get a very good workout on the e-bike. I damaged my knees racing many moons ago and I was worried they would flare up but the eMTB helped strengthen them I think.

Today I am 66kg and quite fit. I have largely stopped riding my e-bike - haven't touched it in over a month now - but that is because I bought a new XC MTB and road bike when I joined a local Club and my fitness level generally is approaching the point that I am going to return to racing - all because of the core fitness an e-bike provided. :smile:

I'm very much pro e-bike and would recommend them to anyone. They are fabulous fun and, as others have stated, if they get people riding it is all good.

gbb

Legendary Member
I never thought I'd say it...but there again, when I was fit , ebikes weren't really a thing...ebikes have saved or extended my ability to cycle.
You never know what the future holds, 10 years ago I'd do 50 miles at 18mph average solo riding...noooo problem. At 50, I was as fit as I'd ever been.

10 years later, I have a damaged lung and arthritis that makes me ache virtually ALL day and if it was left to my roadbike, I'd have packed up cycling completely, it's just too hard on me now.. As it is I still use it occasionally but only maybe half a dozen times this year...but the ebikes allowed me to commute 50 miles a week during the summer and still get 1 hour leisure rides.
Rock on ebikes :okay:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I never thought I'd say it...but there again, when I was fit , ebikes weren't really a thing...ebikes have saved or extended my ability to cycle.
You never know what the future holds, 10 years ago I'd do 50 miles at 18mph average solo riding...noooo problem. At 50, I was as fit as I'd ever been.

10 years later, I have a damaged lung and arthritis that makes me ache virtually ALL day and if it was left to my roadbike, I'd have packed up cycling completely, it's just too hard on me now.. As it is I still use it occasionally but only maybe half a dozen times this year...but the ebikes allowed me to commute 50 miles a week during the summer and still get 1 hour leisure rides.
Rock on ebikes :okay:

Not quite as unlucky as you @gbb , my aggro is auto immune condition.
I find i just get too run down with the daily commute and a weekend ride on my normal bikes.
Ebike to work and i feel ive had a workout but not used e everything in the tank.
Occasionally ill emtb at the weekend but i use my Epic as much as possible for trail sruff.

One thing i love with emtb is seeing son in law shattered after a ride:laugh:

Reactions: gbb

Zanelad

Guru
I've been using my flat bar e-bike (Giant Fastroad e+) to commute to work for the past six months. Around three days a week. I'm sure I wouldnt use an unpowered bike as often. I like that I get to work without too much effort. On windy days I can drop the speed a little and let the bike do some of the work. It takes the sting out of the hills, one on a busy main road when the less time I'm on it he better.

The bike was a bit of an impulse buy, but one I'm glad I made.

Mart44

Über Member
For purely getting from one place to another easily, e-bikes are great. If riding bikes is done to stay fit though, they aren't so good for that. There isn't exercise value to them. I've done many years of mountain biking but now prefer not to and dispense with staying quite so fit. I bought an e-bike for the roads and cyclepaths and enjoy the assistance it gives. I'm very pleased with it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For purely getting from one place to another easily, e-bikes are great. If riding bikes is done to stay fit though, they aren't so good for that. There isn't exercise value to them. I've done many years of mountain biking but now prefer not to and dispense with staying quite so fit. I bought an e-bike for the roads and cyclepaths and enjoy the assistance it gives. I'm very pleased with it.
That totally depends how you use them, if you only use the assistance when it is really needed then in fact there is a huge amount of exercise value. My mother is an example, without her ebike she would not be able to get over the steep hill out of the village, once she is out she does not use the assistance at all until she comes back to the village. She still gets far more exercise than taking the car.

Mart44

Über Member
That totally depends how you use them, if you only use the assistance when it is really needed then in fact there is a huge amount of exercise value. My mother is an example, without her ebike she would not be able to get over the steep hill out of the village, once she is out she does not use the assistance at all until she comes back to the village. She still gets far more exercise than taking the car.

It was my resolve to use the bike something like that when I bought it. What I soon found was that I used the first level of assistance nearly all the time. Partly to overcome the extra weight of the bike. Also because it was maybe the gearing (only on the back wheel) that made the bike seem harder to pedal than my lightweight mountain bike.

I think there is always the temptation to use that first level of assistance when you feel what it does. I now use it all the time and the second or third level for the hills I used to struggle up on the mountain bike. I'd have to agree that there can be exercise value if determined enough not to use any assistance on the flat and only a little on the hills ..and it's always more exercise than driving a car whatever way the e-bike is used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom