An interesting article about all kinds of stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Edit: It's a whole string of articles, that I have somehow confused as one single article. Feel free to abuse me and call me an idiot.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2257721/time-drop-drops

Talks about upgrades, carrying food, bottles, the advantages of stopping, and cogitates on whether drop bars are really the right thing.

I was thinking about this subject on Saturday. During some mainly flat, slightly blustery sections I was in the drops more often than usual, but I also have a habit of putting the heels of my hands on the hoods and bending my elbows to get an anti-headwind-crouch position. I doubt I was in the drops for a total of more than 5 or 10 minutes out of a total ride of about 8 or 9 hours.

I really liked this bit:
Cycling is about making the most of your energy, and as such we're constantly waging war against excess weight, wind and rolling resistance [...] The problem is that we tend to confuse natural exhaustion or our own inherent suckitude with all of the above, which can send a false signal to the brain that it's time to spend money on an upgrade.

I have boundless quantities of inherent suckitude.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Excellent lunchtime read. Thanks. The drive to downgrade replacement parts is a good thought. Can't say I want to adopt "suckitude" though, however apposite the sentiment.

Edit: It's a whole string of articles, that I have somehow confused as one single article. Feel free to abuse me and call me an idiot.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2257721/time-drop-drops

Talks about upgrades, carrying food, bottles, the advantages of stopping, and cogitates on whether drop bars are really the right thing.

I was thinking about this subject on Saturday. During some mainly flat, slightly blustery sections I was in the drops more often than usual, but I also have a habit of putting the heels of my hands on the hoods and bending my elbows to get an anti-headwind-crouch position. I doubt I was in the drops for a total of more than 5 or 10 minutes out of a total ride of about 8 or 9 hours.

I really liked this bit:
Cycling is about making the most of your energy, and as such we're constantly waging war against excess weight, wind and rolling resistance [...] The problem is that we tend to confuse natural exhaustion or our own inherent suckitude with all of the above, which can send a false signal to the brain that it's time to spend money on an upgrade.

I have boundless quantities of inherent suckitude.

Cogitates, that's a new one on me.

www.dictionary.com

verb (used without object), cogitated, cogitating.
to think hard; ponder; meditate:
to cogitate about a problem.
verb (used with object), cogitated, cogitating.
to think about; devise:
to cogitate a scheme.

It's a funny sounding word. Learn something new every now and then.

Alan O

Über Member
Cogitates, that's a new one on me.

www.dictionary.com

verb (used without object), cogitated, cogitating.
to think hard; ponder; meditate:
to cogitate about a problem.
verb (used with object), cogitated, cogitating.
to think about; devise:
to cogitate a scheme.

It's a funny sounding word. Learn something new every now and then.
It's a familiar word for those us us old enough to remember the old Masterchef with Lloyd Grossman (from 20 secs)...

Top Bottom