An old racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rebelpeter

Hello all I picked up an old racer from the boot sale the weekend and wonder can anyone recognise it at all such as age etc I havenever heard of this make before, so maybe someone out there can shed some light on it for me. It is an Elan 10 Elite the frame number is 565100 the wheels are Semperit made in France it is a 5 gear with cotterpin crank fitting. It is purple and the frame paintwork is quite good it is in good running order.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi
Any pictures?

76883d1318553287-plus-size-sports-riding-bra-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

There is some history HERE on Elan Bikes, it doesn't make nice reading though.

Also, the dates in the above article suggest Elan bikes are much later than bikes with cottered cranks, so perhaps someone 'restored' your bike at some point, and for some inexplicable reason decided to put Elan decals on it?

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

76883d1318553287-plus-size-sports-riding-bra-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

There is some history HERE on Elan Bikes, it doesn't make nice reading though.

Also, the dates in the above article suggest Elan bikes are much later than bikes with cottered cranks, so perhaps someone 'restored' your bike at some point, and for some inexplicable reason decided to put Elan decals on it?

Thanks I sell old racers and have quite a few. thankx for the reply

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

Cotter pin cranks were CRAP. Depending on what you consider good this bike may be only good for scrap. Don't waste time or money on it. Bin it.
Huh I am a bike engineer and I sell old racers and already have a buyer for it so dont think I will bin £175, I have Dawes, Raleighs, BSAs one of which is a 58 BSA I keep for myself . Cotterpin cranks were no trouble at all and dead easy to get on and off .

Huh I am a bike engineer and I sell old racers and already have a buyer for it so dont think I will bin £175, I have Dawes, Raleighs, BSAs one of which is a 58 BSA I keep for myself . Cotterpin cranks were no trouble at all and dead easy to get on and off .

I think the point crankarm was making was that cotter cranks were generally fitted to lower-spec bikes - and the other point he was making was that not every old bike is a 'vintage classic' as some on here seem to think. Anyway, if you know so much about this stuff, why did you ask for help identifying it..?

I think the point crankarm was making was that cotter cranks were generally fitted to lower-spec bikes - and the other point he was making was that not every old bike is a 'vintage classic' as some on here seem to think. Anyway, if you know so much about this stuff, why did you ask for help identifying it..?

He may know a lot of stuff, but not THAT much stuff.To put it another way, imagine your jeremy clarkson and your driving a ferrari across europe and it develops an annoying sound. You may know everything about cars but the first thing you would do is ask a mechanic or something.

He may know a lot of stuff, but not THAT much stuff.To put it another way, imagine your jeremy clarkson and your driving a ferrari across europe and it develops an annoying sound. You may know everything about cars but the first thing you would do is ask a mechanic or something.

wrong analogy, I'm afraid.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cotter pin cranks were CRAP. Depending on what you consider good this bike may be only good for scrap. Don't waste time or money on it. Bin it.
My Holdsworth had cottered cranks when I found it, but the frames a peach, so don't disregard it altogether ....
I'll wait for pictures.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cottered cranks were commonplace until the mid 1960s, even on top end bikes. It would have been very helpful if the OP had been able to post a photo or describe other components, the make of which would provide good clues as to the nature of the bike. I always look at the lugs and the fork crown - crap frames do not have fine lugs. I don't believe Semperit made wheels.
Anyway, if you know so much about this stuff, why did you ask for help identifying it..? +1

Top Bottom