An old racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
It is a business it is a lifetime hobby NOT a business I own a farm with lots of storage space and I also collect vintage motor bikes too plus a couple of vintage cars but then I dont think there is a law against asking if anyone knew anything about a Elan cycle on here is there, but then you don't have to answer if you think it is such a crime to ask on here about bikes.

Didn't understand that. Punctuation is your friend.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So, you are making a business from selling old bikes, then expect free advice here? :whistle:

FFS what does it matter?
There seems to be an underlying animosity here towards the OP here I don't understand.

It's a pretty simple question from a cycle enthusiast, if he wishes to sell some of his bikes or make a few quid from restoring them, so what? He's as much right to ask his questions here and seek advice as anybody else has frankly and also to be treated with a certain amount of respect.

Brighten-up people :becool: .

400bhp

Guru
FFS what does it matter?
There seems to be an underlying animosity here towards the OP here I don't understand.

It's a pretty simple question from a cycle enthusiast, if he wishes to sell some of his bikes or make a few quid from restoring them, so what? He's as much right to ask his questions here and seek advice as anybody else has frankly and also to be treated with a certain amount of respect.

It was a question - please read posts properly.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I've quite a few bikes with cotterpins and they all work fine.

I would suggest that as cotterpins were the norm for the majority of European built bikes for almost a century, they are perfectly serviceable or would have been phased out by about 1900.
Yes this is is true they are perfectly serviceable and I havenever had one problem with cotterpin cranks more than can be said for their replacments . . .

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

FFS what does it matter?

Exactly and many thanks for your reply just a pity some of the others don't see it like this as well . ..

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'd love an old 50s or 60s racer.
- looks like rebelpeter's the man to see :thumbsup: ..... We still have no idea what an Elan Elite is, what the other components are - could give a clue to its age/quality. What it looks like. It might be a desirable classic, but I doubt it. ( I will be happy to be proved wrong :smile:)

I've quite a few bikes with cotterpins and they all work fine.

I would suggest that as cotterpins were the norm for the majority of European built bikes for almost a century, they are perfectly serviceable or would have been phased out by about 1900.

I'm fairly sure that the reason cotter pin cranksets disappeared is that the overwhelming majority of them (possibly all of them, but I stand to be corrected) were made of steel. The cotter pin is reasonably soft steel so that it doesn't damage either the bottom bracket or the crank arm hole. Stick one into a soft alloy crank arm and it will rapidly enlarge the hole, which could be a problem even with steel cranks as i recall this happening to a couple of mine. If alloy cranksets had been available in 1900 I think that cotter pins would be remembered by none of us. Do I miss them? Not a chance, give me an alloy chainset on a square taper bb any day.

Gordon

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

I'd love an old 50s or 60s racer.
Yes they are very nice to ride and I have had some real good ones in great condition too,
I mostly seem to get Raleighs Dawesd and the occasional BSAs , I have got a Tour Of Britain BSA that I ride it is in great condition and I do enjoy riding it of couse it is not a lightweight as it has steel wheels but it is just enjoyable to ride something with so much character.

OP
OP
R

rebelpeter

- looks like rebelpeter's the man to see :thumbsup: ..... We still have no idea what an Elan Elite is, what the other components are - could give a clue to its age/quality. What it looks like. It might be a desirable classic, but I doubt it. ( I will be happy to be proved wrong :smile:)

It has the Simplex gears which I remember way back in the 50s not much else I can tell you really steel wheels of course and I mentioned they were made in France ( the wheels that is ), I also have a couple of old Elswick racers too, thanks for your reply and interest. :smile:

Top Bottom