An Open Letter to Dr Dr Kailash Chand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Good points to make Gaz. I'm overweight, in fact my BMI may well now be into the obese, and I'm a nurse working within diabetes. 7 months ago I was about a stone lighter, but since starting an essential medication in June I've gained weight, as others do, steroids, anti-epilepsey drugs, even insulin can cause unwanted weight gain. These are not the excuse for people to hide behind, but Dr Chanda's thoughts are not well thought out, or particularly inspiring for people trying to loose weight.

Dr Chand has acheived what he set out to do, throw the hand grenade and watch the shock waves. But he isn't a policy maker, so his random ideas will stay purely that.

ASC1951

Guru
He was doing what I believe we nowadays have to call blue sky thinking.

I completely agree with him that instead of pouring £squillions into treating the ailments of fat alcoholic smokers, we should spend money on stopping them getting like that in the first place.

Beyond rubbishing his ideas, you don't actually seem to be suggesting any other method. Unfortunately several decades of research shows that, as you say, lecturing unhealthy people doesn't work, so they need to be given incentives. I'm not sure that paying people for a healthy lifestyle (by whatever measure you use) is any sillier than taxing the hell out of tobacco, alcohol and crap food.

If I was Dictator I would stop all food, drink and tobacco advertising; but that's not going to happen either.

Top Bottom