And I thought all old Falcons were dogs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just browsing on fleabay, as yer do, and stumbled across this ...

falc1.jpg
falc2.jpg

Like I say, I always thought old Falcons were sort of sub-BSA clunkers...workmanlike, at best. Seems I was wrong. That is one pretty bike.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Very tidy looking frame, that. Very.

D

Deleted member 1258

Heresy, it looks lovely with gears on and it has even got a Brooks. :becool:

If I was to do a fixed conversion on that I would change very little, a nice pair of retro wheels and the transmission, I'd want to leave the rest alone.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If I was to do a fixed conversion on that I would change very little, a nice pair of retro wheels and the transmission, I'd want to leave the rest alone.
I've nothing against fixed/SS bikes in fact my (delayed due to injury) next project is a 3speed SA Raleigh that I plan to also have a flip flop rear wheel for, I reckon about 10 mins to change the rear wheel and remove the shifter and cable. Its just when I see 'fixies' with the gear bosses on I can't help thinking why?
And it would not be possible to remove them without a degree of repainting which seems a shame on something that nice.
BTW the project is coming along nicely now and I've nearly got all the bits needed including a 48 tooth Stronglight square taper crank as I'm not using the steel cottered original and the 52 tooth single (in the shed) will not fit inside the chainguard (if it gets refitted)

D

Deleted member 1258

I've nothing against fixed/SS bikes in fact my (delayed due to injury) next project is a 3speed SA Raleigh that I plan to also have a flip flop rear wheel for, I reckon about 10 mins to change the rear wheel and remove the shifter and cable. Its just when I see 'fixies' with the gear bosses on I can't help thinking why?
And it would not be possible to remove them without a degree of repainting which seems a shame on something that nice.
BTW the project is coming along nicely now and I've nearly got all the bits needed including a 48 tooth Stronglight square taper crank as I'm not using the steel cottered original and the 52 tooth single (in the shed) will not fit inside the chainguard (if it gets refitted)

I have no problems with the bosses, if they are still there you have the option of going back to gears if you want to, my first fixed eventually went back to gears.

pollard 3.jpeg

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you bought it?
Nope. I'm very happy with my Olmo. Also, I don't deserve a such a nice bike...I tend to be a bit brutal with my bikes - wash them once a year whether they need it or not sort of thing. That bike deserves proper looking after. I agree it would make a very fine fixie - you could be The Prince of Hoxteth on that.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
PS Agree about the bosses - what's the problem? It's not like they get in the way or anything, and if you change your mine, or want to sell it on later, it leaves options open. I'd never take bosses off, even as a confirmed fixie rider - can't see the point.

I used to ride my Falcon from Mill Hill to Covent Garden when it was in pristine condition. I bought it from Woolsey Cycles, in Acton. Since passed to iLB of this parish, who has done wonders on bikes since that day. Must be a magic mark! I liked the Olympic ring style badge...'trusted British workmanship' etc.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
hmmmm, that is nice and I already have a Coppi San Remo so could start a stable of nameylikeys and its the right size and its close enough to pick up and.....................................................

......................................oh no the Mrs is going to kill me.

Top Bottom