And now for some good news...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry to hear that ColinJ, hope you get back to racing soon. Fingers crossed.
Sorry, I can see my post was ambiguous ... I meant it would be foolish for any athlete to try and compete before they had fully recovered from such a dangerous illness.

I've never raced, but it took me 8 months to even get back on a bike again.

Serena Williams was able to get back up to full competitive fitness in less than a year after suffering a pulmonary embolism in 2011, but some people do not survive them, and many others never fully recover..

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I just think you are wrong to blame the medication for his layoff

I should just make it clear that this was information from the Cyclingnews article. I don't have any personal knowledge of the case...

ColinJ

I should just make it clear that this was information from the Cyclingnews article. I don't have any personal knowledge of the case...
The concern is that the anticoagulant drugs mean that one would tend to bleed a lot more after an injury. In the case of a head injury, that could be very serious. Bleeding on the brain is always a risk when taking these drugs. I would imagine that the UCI would be reluctant to issue a racing licence to any rider on them.

Ah - I just found this article which backs that up!

Last edited:

ColinJ

When there is no obvious underlying cause for the original DVT, there is about a 30% chance of developing another one in the following 10 years, but I am sure that Niyonshuti will be very careful to minimise his risks in future.

Fingers crossed for him! I only lasted 3 months off Warfarin, before I developed my second DVT/PE. If that happened to an athlete, it could very well be career-ending.

Top Bottom