And now for some good news...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/31/cycling-in-yemen-struggle
Not exactly good news, but relevant to this thread, I think

U

User169

Just saw that MTN-Qhubeka have a wild-card entry to Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, so we'll be seeing these cats in action pretty soon.

oldroadman

Veteran
There co9uld be a whole load of useful riders coming from the "undeveloped" african countries, their tough lives and seemingly natural endurance talent are a great base to wok from. All they would need is a proper training regime/nutrition, good equipment, and technical/tactical guidance, which of course takes faith and money, but given that, within 5 years it's possible could be an african team (excluding SA) at world tour level, plus a good number pro-conti and pleny of continental.
The worlds could get very interesting too!

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cyclingnews has a blog for Ethiopian champion, Tsgabu Grmay, for the Tour of Utah

Buddfox

Veteran
Just saw some tweets from Dan Lloyd about Kudus:

@daniellloyd1: The World Cycling Centre is a great facility - had the privilege of meeting supported rider Merhawi Kudus a couple of days ago. 19 years old

@daniellloyd1: From Eritrea - 11th in l'avenir, 15th in yesterdays world's u23, many other solid results this year.

The more coverage like this, the better

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
And some extra good news for African cycling fans... Adrien Niyonshuti is back and racing. Some may recall that this really promising rider was all lined up to do big things in Europe last season with MTN-Qhubeka and then was diagnosed with deep-vein thrombosis. The treatment meant blood thinners , leading of course to the opposite effect of what EPO does - low heamocrit, and therefore made it impossible for him to compete in 2013. Now he's better, yay.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
And some extra good news for African cycling fans... Adrien Niyonshuti is back and racing. Some may recall that this really promising rider was all lined up to do big things in Europe last season with MTN-Qhubeka and then was diagnosed with deep-vein thrombosis. The treatment meant blood thinners , leading of course to the opposite effect of what EPO does - low heamocrit, and therefore made it impossible for him to compete in 2013. Now he's better, yay.
I've just finished reading a book about Rwandan cycling called "The Land of Second Chances" which is largely about Adrien. Worth a read if the subject interests you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad he's back!

I have never heard of Warfarin (or other anticoagulants) causing low red blood cell counts and I have been reading a lot about it since I developed the same condition as him and have been taking the drug.

There is no evidence to show use of EPO in his case, but in the early days of its abuse by other cyclists, several died from blood clots before it was realised that precautions were needed to avoid that risk. If people abusing EPO stop doing it, then their performance would suffer. (I know that is not what you are suggesting, and I am not either. I just think you are wrong to blame the medication for his layoff.)

I think the reason that his illness stopped him competing was that it had progressed to pulmonary embolism, which is a very serious life-threatening condition! Some people suffer sudden death from it, and many die more slowly. Others, like me have their aerobic capacity severely damaged. 15 months on, I have only got about 60% of mine back. It would be impossible to compete in that state, and it would be foolish to try.

He is younger and fitter, and has clearly made a better recovery than me. I wish him future good health and a succesful career!

Top Bottom