And now for some good news...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pics by Ben Ingham online here

Superb shots. Thanks.

Rubber Bullets

I can't wait for Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen to do the commentry. They have enough bother with english names.

Phil Ligget may have a problem, but Paul Sherwen was brought up in Kenya, and now lives in Uganda, and speaks fluent Swahili, so he shouldn't have any problems. In fact he might be better at the African names.

RB

U

User169

Talking of Uganda and Rwanda - if you were to cycle across the border between those two countries, what would you need to do?

thom

____
Talking of Uganda and Rwanda - if you were to cycle across the border between those two countries, what would you need to do?
Take a boat ? Is their border on Lake Victoria ?

U

User169

Take a boat ? Is their border on Lake Victoria ?

Cross to the other side of the road! Uganda is drive on the left, Rwanda drive on the right, which I suppose reflects their colonial legacies. It's one of only a few land borders where this happens apparently.

Muguruki

Take what you like to Rwanda but don't take any plastic carrier bags! They are well strict on bags I've heard of travellers having their carrier bags taken from them at the border.

Dervla Murphy cycled across the border in her book Ukimwi road where she cycles from Kenya to South Africa.

I've only got as far as Kabale the town near the border.

Oh, and Rwanda is not on Lake Victoria.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't know what that particular border is like, but the standard "visa" (or if you prefer, "gift" for co-operative border guards) in most of post-colonial Africa always used to be a carton of 200 Marlboro.

U

User169

Phil Ligget may have a problem, but Paul Sherwen was brought up in Kenya, and now lives in Uganda, and speaks fluent Swahili, so he shouldn't have any problems. In fact he might be better at the African names.

RB

Running a gold mine in which liggett and armstrong are investors!

There's a little bit of history here. Eritrean and Ethiopian cycling is one of the few positive legacies of the Italian colonial occupation of what was then Abyssinia. There is a a Tour of Eritrea which is one of the top African races, and a really tough one at that.

And watch out for this guy, Natnael Behane, who will ride for Europcar next season. A major talent. You heard it here first!

I read approx 10 years ago about cyclin in Eritrea and it was very popular sport !

Top Bottom