Andre Previn Has Left THe Building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana

I should imagine a lot of people know him as Andrew Preview :laugh:

tom73

Guru
I believe he walk into his company office one day went to his office sat down got up and walked out saying he’d achieved all he wanted to achieve. He never went back

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A fantastically talented musician, but best known to millions as Mr Preview.

RIP

Slick

Guru
I still use the line about playing all the right notes in the wrong order when explaining to learners about the importance of missing a question on the answer paper if missing a question out. It always gets a laugh but none of them ever get the origins. RIP.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Of course, there's the wonderful Morecombe and Wise sketch - a triple act not a double act - which is no small thing when performing alongside the UK's best ever comedy duo. For me it's a toss up between that and "four candles" so it's something he could rightly be proud of

But more seriously, I have a lot of CDs with him conducting (usually the LSO), and they are invariably exciting and amongst the best available take on a great deal of music. If you don't know a specific version of something and what version to get of an unfamiliar composer, you rarely go far wrong with Mr Preview and the boys in the band

Doing a bit of googling, noted that he wrote an opera of Streecar Named Desire. Maybe worth a go ?
Also didn't realise he'd (EDIT arranged (not written) the music for My Fair Lady - for which he got an Oscar - one of four wins and many more nominations.

He was a serious jazz pianist as well

Last edited:
U

User169

Also didn't realise he'd written the music for My Fair Lady - for which he got an Oscar - one of four wins and many more nominations.

Frederick Loewe wrote the music. Previn's Oscar was for arranging the score for the film version.

Top Bottom