Andre Previn Has Left THe Building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Married 5 times. Impressed :smile:

U

User169

Slightly sad that the news felt the British public too thick to know who Previn was without going "the bloke from the morcambe and wise sketch", which was an incredibly minor moment in a great career.

RIP Mr P.

Not sure it's a question of thickness - things change. Classical music has a smaller audience these days than in the early 1970s.

It's difficult to imagine the M+W sketch working now - it assumes the audience know a classical conductor and know the opening of the Grieg piano concerto.

When Previn appeared on M+W he was the Principle Conductor of the LSO. I wonder how many know off the top of their head who the current incumbent is?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not sure it's a question of thickness - things change. Classical music has a smaller audience these days than in the early 1970s.

It's difficult to imagine the M+W sketch working now - it assumes the audience know a classical conductor and know the opening of the Grieg piano concerto.

When Previn appeared on M+W he was the Principle Conductor of the LSO. I wonder how many know off the top of their head who the current incumbent is?
Simon Rattle.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Classical music has a smaller audience these days than in the early 1970s.

I'm not sure that's the case. Certainly my perception is that there are fewer barriers between genres than there were as I was growing up, and the success of Classic FM and the proposed second classical commercial station would suggest there's a large audience for the stuff. The presentation of classical music has also loosened up a lot (Previn had a lot to do with that, of course), at the same time as standards have been raised. And we're a lot less stuffy about the canon (of seven symphonies, thirteen concertos and a few dozen overtures, mostly from the 19th century) than we were.

slow scot

Veteran
I have nothing in my classical music collection performed or conducted by Previn, but I'm currently listening to a fabulous LP by one of his ex wives, Dorry Previn. It has the excellent name of "Mythical Kings and Iguanas".
I'm sure it can be found on the Internet.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
He was the real star of that sketch. He wasn't able to attend Eric & Ern's usual meticulous rehersals, and basically learnt his lines at the last minute- on his way from the airport in the back of a taxi. And he absolutely nailed it, so beautifully played. RIP, musical and comic maestro.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
previn_245a9a4fdaf5e46c35c3d06bbc27ebcdd2806c96.jpg

"I worked with Morecambe and Wise. Look what happened to me".

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Off the top of my head I can wholeheartedly recommend his LSO set of Vaughan-Williams symphonies, and his LSO carmina burana.

I'll check what else I've - a fair bit more I think as I'd often go for the Previn version as a default choice if buying something I didn't have, or only had a ropey version

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
To be fair, one would hardly describe you as the man on the Clapham omnibus

(Fwiw, I thought Rattle was at Birmingham, no idea for LSO)

SR moved on from the CBSO about 20 years ago. At the LSO, he's Music Director, they don't have a Principal Conductor these days.

But I loved DP's suggestion that they should have a Principle Conductor instead. :smile:

U

User169

SR moved on from the CBSO about 20 years ago. At the LSO, he's Music Director, they don't have a Principal Conductor these days.

But I loved DP's suggestion that they should have a Principle Conductor instead. :smile:

Mea culpa on the typo, but question was deliberately a trick one.

Top Bottom