Andy Murray.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've noticed this year that Mr Murray has started to grunt or groan when serving. This puts me off watching him and other grunters and groaners. Especially the women when they grunt or groan!:stop:

Oxo

Guru
But put Laver at his peak v Murray now and Murray would absolutely annihilate him. Training, nutrition, coaching etc etc

The same is true when trying to compare any sports persons across different eras but Murray has yet to reach the level of success in his era that Laver enjoyed against his contemporaries.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've noticed this year that Mr Murray has started to grunt or groan when serving. This puts me off watching him and other grunters and groaners. Especially the women when they grunt or groan!:stop:

He's done it for a while, and I must admit his attempts are particularly irritating, especially on serve. I don't think any player really has to do it either, it's purely a psychological thing.

AndyRM

XOXO
The same is true when trying to compare any sports persons across different eras but Murray has yet to reach the level of success in his era that Laver enjoyed against his contemporaries.

That's a fair and good point; I should have qualified my initial statement by calling this the "modern" era I suppose, so since 1990 or something like that?

Tennis is one of the few sports where I wish there was a way you could get the old pros at their best playing with current equipment and coaching methods.

AndyRM

XOXO
Are you suggesting he has psychological problems? Perhaps that's why his mother watches him when he goes out to play.

No, I mean that the grunting thing is an attempt to put off an opponent, or psyche them out. Poorly worded on my part.

That said I do think the issues with Murray have been largely psychological over the years. He's a supreme athlete and has all the shots but it has seemed that he doesn't quite believe in himself sometimes.

Oxo

Guru
Tennis is one of the few sports where I wish there was a way you could get the old pros at their best playing with current equipment and coaching methods.

I saw a comment from Virginia Wade not too long ago where she said that she can still hit a tennis ball harder than when she was in her prime. She said it was down to developments in racquets.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
FFS comparing eras is a waste of time in any sport.
Fitness, nutrition and equipment has changed.
Take a sport like snooker which at face value requires no fitness yet the professionals are now following proper fitness regimes to keep on top for longer.
The cues balls and tables have all evolved making comparison impossible. But the likes of Steve Davies openly admit the players of today are better than in his era. And tennis is the same.
Murray is demonstrably better than players even 20 years ago.

Slick

Guru
On innate ability Laver may or may not have been better than Murray.

But put Laver at his peak v Murray now and Murray would absolutely annihilate him. Training, nutrition, coaching etc etc
Exactly mate, anything else is just wishful thinking.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
All this may be true, but I find modern tennis dull in the extreme. All those baseline double handed top spin rallies that seem to last forever, aided by advances in racket technology, send me to sleep!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I doubt that Rod laver would have the physique to be a top player these days where they're all big, strong guys. Touch players in the present and recent past only have fleeting success.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
73 matches won, eight Championship titles including Wimbledon and the Olympics, now No 1 in the world.

Sports Personality of the Year surely?

Top Bottom