Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
control_tower_07.jpg

I decided that as I seem to be moving a speeds which could charitably be described as “geological” I may as well make some landscapes.

I’m assuming the builders of this low budget aerodrome decided that if you want an elevated building, the cheapest option is to use an existing hill, instead of making an expensive tower out of wood. In keeping with this philosophy I made the ‘landscape’ itself from old cardboard offcuts, before smoothing things down with clay and slopping a gooey mix of wood glue and paint over the top.

control_tower_08.jpg

The hole in the landscape is a solution I’ve seen used by some makers of tabletop games. As collections build up, it seems you end up with a number of buildings, not to mention vehicles, sea monsters and apparently mandatory cosmic death rays. As these tend not to stack very well, one way to save space is to hang them up instead of letting them take up shelf space. I just have to work out how to cover the hole effectively.

shunter_2.0_26.jpg

Okay, that's a bad picture, sorry about that: this apartment isn't great for photography in winter.

I’ve been using "scientific experience-based methods and a feedback driven approach to ensure optimal results" this week. Or if I put it more honestly, trial and error until something works.

Long suffering readers will know this generally works on a ratio of about two false starts for every successfully finished model, and involves a lot of cutting, filing, sanding and other words that end in “-ing.” (like "swear-", "cuss-" and in the worst case "throw-")

Still, progress is progress…

control_tower_18-1.jpg

I'll post pictures of the diesel locomotive as soon as it is presentable, but I'm still working on the control tower model for a tabletop game. Because tabletop games (or at least the sort I like) are fairly cartoony, I find I'm less of a perfectionist so I make more progress.

control_tower_19.jpg

I expect the railing should be on the inside of the uprights, not hanging out over space, but that’s another compromise to allow for the large bases on tabletop model figures.

The aerial probably isn’t accurate as I suspect the convention of painting things red and white wasn’t around yet in the 1930’s, but I wanted a red and white aerial, and I think some artistic licence can be tolerated. I doubt they made them of wood either, but I had an old stirring stick and it seemed the right length. It was also so full of paint that after sanding there was no visible grain.

control_tower_20.jpg

Nearly there now, just the glazing, steps, and a few details to go.

Last edited:
shunter_2.0_33.jpg

The locomotive now has a roof. This is the second attempt because… of course it is. The first insisted on sitting at a slight but noticeable angle whatever I tried, so eventually I gave up and started again. I was about to glue this version down when I remembered that adding things like driving controls or windows, and painting the inside of the cab is best done first; I never was much good at forward planning.

It also needs more detail besides the radio antennae on there. I’ve seen pictures of similar shunters with what looks like air conditioners on the roof, so I’ll probably add one for the general comfort of the Körschtalbahn’s staff.

I will get on with some soldering, eventually...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks @Reynard. I'm currently wondering whether to paint the cab green and the ends grey, or the other way around, and what shade of green to try for...

I mean obviously right now I'm not: I'm entirely focussed on work and all modelmaking thoughts are far from my mind. Ahem.
Humbrol 134 or 104?

Return to the control tower:

The most immediately obvious change is the addition of a power or transmission cable on the roof:

Control_Tower_21.jpg

But other plans are afoot, or possibly aroof:

Control_Tower_22.jpg

Question is, which one of these works better? Straight sign as above, or...

Control_Tower_23.jpg

Angled sign?

Any thoughts welcome...

Top Bottom