Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been putting together a prototype for the carriages I'm building; my goal is to make them out of card as much as possible:

Silberlinge_05.jpg

I'm currently working out how to make the rounded ends out of card, and also how to match them up with the printed sides. This is taking much straining of brain cells.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be better off making them with plastic card as paper card will warp with time.

You might be better off making them with plastic card as paper card will warp with time.

So will plastic under a lot of conditions, in fact one reason I'm trying card is because it allegedly is less prone to warping than plastic.

I'm also finding that if I treat it like wood, i.e., let the air (and therefore moisture) get at both sides or neither, and give it time to stabilise after using glue, I can reduce the warping.

I'll brace the fascia where I can, and the windows will have one long clear plastic strip behind them. We shall have to see of this is sufficient...

Last edited:
Life is getting stressful at the moment so I'm reduced to painting figures and things are getting really rather silly again.

Tonight I finished this heroic chap:

Württemberg_Düsenjetjäger_02s.jpg

Württemberg_Düsenjetjäger_03s.jpg

I'm not sure what he'll be called yet, but he's the first of the Württembergische Düsenjäger (Württemberg Jet Troops). Württemberg had a black and dark red flag, hence the red details. Also, if Germany did split into its constituent states after shorter World War 1, as the backstory suggests, then it would be Württemberg that would enthusiastically embrace anything vaguely technological, (see also: steam powered tanks) probably causing more danger to their troops than anyone they were fighting...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Life is getting stressful at the moment so I'm reduced to painting figures and things are getting really rather silly again.

Tonight I finished this heroic chap:

View attachment 648159

View attachment 648160

I'm not sure what he'll be called yet, but he's the first of the Württembergische Düsenjäger (Württemberg Jet Troops). Württemberg had a black and dark red flag, hence the red details. Also, if Germany did split into its constituent states after shorter World War 1, as the backstory suggests, then it would be Württemberg that would enthusiastically embrace anything vaguely technological, (see also: steam powered tanks) probably causing more danger to their troops than anyone they were fighting...
Any chance of secondary ignition?

I was thinking a methane afterburner.

Depends how much the canteen serves sauerkraut.

Painted the other three today; once I'd got the colours right it went fairly quickly:

Württemberg_Düsenjetjäger_12.jpg

The officer above, rank and file below:

Württemberg_Düsenjetjäger_14.jpg

Württemberg_Düsenjetjäger_15.jpg

The next ones will be a bit slower, as there are no uniforms so each one has to be painted to make them look individual while not having too many colours so they look a mess on the table.

2022_06_25_mercenaries_02.jpg

I’m getting ever more addicted to figure painting, as seen above. Currently named “Lev the Anarchist” who is carrying enough explosives that he’s probably a danger to friend or foe within about 20 metres in a combat situation.

2022_06_25_mercenaries_06a.jpg

I particularly like the way he has a detonator on his back but appears to be lighting a fuse on the dynamite in his hand.

He’ll soon be joined by some comrades in arms to travel the world and awaken the proletariat to their oppression, or possibly of course, oppress them a bit more in service of the highest bidder; even anarchists gotta eat.

Oh dear oh, dear, I have been neglecting to post on here to the disappointment I'm sure of no-one. However now I've noticed you aren't going to get away with it any longer.

Mind the dust...

The card carriages stalled a bit because I'm still getting used to making things from this material, so the new plan is to build some tabletop game buildings and get some practice with this method for model railway based models. These models need to be as simple and cheap as possible to make, and hopefully quick, although I admit the last goal would be a first in my model making.

factory_03_front_wall_ext.jpg

The plan is to achieve all this by downloading texture pictures, pasting them together on a graphics programme and print them out, making a sort of mini Ikea kit. I recall that the campus where I completed my theatre training was built in exactly this manner: with office buildings, barracks, dining room and houses all made from standard parts brought in using trucks. Only problem was that they sent the wrong parts: we were in Montana and the buildings were meant for California and thus had no insulation whatsoever, making for a very cold winter, but I digress.

factory_05-lean-to.jpg

Anyway, this attempt is a small “power station” or similar. I’ve discovered that tabletop games are much more interesting when models have interiors so this will hopefully contain a fairly generic and probably quite ridiculous “device” which for now is known as the “GLOM” or “Gratuitously Large and Ominous Machine”…

More pictures when CC will let me upload them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom