Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be interested in the work of Edmund Nouillier who contribiutes to Continental Modeller, a Peco publication. You'll have to subscribe online but you can cancel any time. His work is quite amazing, all in card. Also includes many articles on German and European railways bot prototypical and model.

E30D7284-AC9E-41C0-97BF-2E23E52C4A13.jpeg

Last edited:
You might be interested in the work of Edmund Nouillier who contribiutes to Continental Modeller, a Peco publication. You'll have to subscribe online but you can cancel any time. His work is quite amazing. Also includes many articles on German and European railways bot prototypical and model.

View attachment 681322

I remember reading articles from him back in the days when I bought the print magazine. Does he print photographs?

I'm gradually getting back into model making. As a warm up I've been painting figures for my rather silly tabletop gaming. Meet the officers of the Republic of Württemberg Zeppelin force, which sadly never existed outside of my rather overactive imagination:

2023_06_14_Württembergische_Zeppelintroopen_04.jpg

I didn't have a Zeppelin for them to stand next to, so I used my steam powered tank as a backdrop:

2023_06_14_Württembergische_Zeppelintroopen_03.jpg

Last edited:
It's been far too long since I built anything railway related, so I've started a new project:

2023_07_08_kob_dvt-1.jpg

I’m guessing the KÖB bought the design above around the turn of the 21st century; at the time railways were realising that people with pushchairs and bicycles, and more importantly people using wheelchairs, wanted to travel as well, so there was a big push to make access possible. This was especially difficult for European railways because often rural station platforms were a flat space barely higher than the track.

Making platforms higher was more expensive than lowering train floors, especially as railways quickly realised they only really needed to have one “low floor” section in the train which could theoretically cater for everyone. These often turned out to be the driving units, possibly because many were being built or rebuilt at about this time, possibly on the basis they won’t forget to take the bit the driver sits in.

2023_07_08_DVT_01_04.jpg

If you are wondering, the four side pieces are not because I'm getting ambitious again and trying to make two units. they're a reflection of my continued inability to paint cleanly around windows meaning that once again I'm going to have to make a sandwich of card and slide the glazing in when I've completed everything else.

2023_07_23_DVT_01_05.jpg

Now I've got it into three dimensions. The "sandwich" shows up in the gaps between the inner and outer wall, which is where I'll slide the transparent plastic glazing. That's simple enough in the straight side walls, now I've got to work out how to make the angled windscreen in the same way.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They must have operated in two car 'sets' so operated in multiples of that? Electric I guess?
Are there any RTR models you could get some tips from?
Heat could help with the windscreen.

They must have operated in two car 'sets' so operated in multiples of that? Electric I guess?
Are there any RTR models you could get some tips from?
Heat could help with the windscreen.

It's a driving trailer; my plan is to use it with a locomotive on the other end of the train, and some "older" carriages with steps in between. My problem is that sliding in glazing on the sides is easy enough, but on most railcars or trailers the front has an angle below the windscreen which makes it hard to slide anything in from below, and I want to make and attach the roof before I paiint the model.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When I used to make aero models for canopy's I made a wooden plug and then heated the clear plastic before forming over the plug.
As the plastic is hot you could use a ply frame to push down over it.

The driving trailer continues. I've made a representation of the onboard disabled privvy:

2023_07_23_DVT_01_07.jpg

On the other hand, I think I've built myself into a hole here:

2023_07_23_DVT_01_08.jpg

The walls are a sandwich with a space to slide glazing from underneath, which has become my standard method for making glazing as I'm apparently incapable of painting stock without messing the windows up, so I slide them in at the end after everything is finished. However, as the front window needs to go in at an angle I'm not too sure how I'm going to manage that.

This is the problem with making complex models. Being a bit of a purist about making them with fairly traditional methods isn't helping either...

Last edited:
Not, at the moment. Too many other projects (archive, novel, research) and not quite enough spare time, as per usual. :blush:

You too huh?

The driving trailer is developing, and considering the middle part is largely devoid of seats, I needed to make a suprisingly large amount, 28 in all:

2023_09_12_Seats.jpg

Fortunately when fitted they won't be too visible so their relatively crude form won't be a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom