Ankle pain from turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've been doing a few base sessions on the turbo over the last month . Z2 and Z3 Monday Tuesday with a rest day between and then Z2 Thursday Z3 Friday . Free rides at the weekend .
Riding is fine but at the weekend my ankle started giving way when trying to walk . Ive had a look at foot anatomy and it looks like flexor digitorum longus is the culprit .
My cleats have never changed position in five years of riding with them so i think its to do with the four hours a week hitting power targets and no rest between ( unlike riding on the road )
I'm resting this week and today has been the best day for walking but it did start to pull towards the end of the day .
I am on my feet all day with physical work .
I'd like to continue with the base training and ramp it up closer to next years time trial season but obviously i would also like to be able to walk aswell .
Where do i look for help with this kind of thing ? I guess my doctor will just say stop doing it .

This is happening because there’s no side to side motion from the bike when you’re putting in ( particularly standing ) efforts on a turbo. Your ankles are being worked in an unnatural way as a consequence. Try to minimise any standing up efforts, even though it’s hard to resist doing it, out of habit.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No standing efforts , its all in TT position but i see what you are saying about the static turbo .

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Your cleat position may not be as good as you think. The problem may not have manifested itself whilst you had lighter training loads, but now you have ramped up the problem might now be noticeable. I would try and check your cleat position (after making a careful note of your current setup), read up on cleat positioning, make small changes and then slowly build up some training again.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you sprained that ankle badly? My left ankle got dislocated when I was in my 20s and nowadays it goes over for fun, even on flat surfaces if I'm not mindful. There are times when I get up in the morning and it won't support any weight at all for a few seconds, mostly when I'm peaking in fitness during the summer. At other times it doesn't bother me at all.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have problems with both ankles after falling down some servants steps many years ago and both ankles give way now and then but this is not the same area . I've never had any pain from this area of my ankle before .
Training load wise , i kind of agree but i have done heavier training loads than this in the past few years . Just not on the turbo , out on the road . In fact i would say this is the least ive ridden since i started racing three years ago but it is very specific one hour sessions four times a week so i guess a heavy load all focused in one area . Out on the road you get to move about and traffic gets in the way so you get small amounts of rest .

Top Bottom