Ankling - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I've been ankling whilst pedalling for so long now; fifty five years plus, that it's completely second nature.
I've not noticed whether other cyclists do it nowadays, so do you - ? :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been ankling whilst pedalling for so long now; fifty five years plus, that it's completely second nature.
I've not noticed whether other cyclists do it nowadays, so do you - ? :whistle:
I am not sure if that is what I have started doing on my singlespeed bike on steep hills...?

It is hard to get each crank through the deadspot at the top of the pedal stroke so I have got into the habit of dropping the heel and pushing the crank from behind rather than trying to do it from above.

I remember the Comic doing an article on it and asking is it more efficient. They had a few examples of racers who do it.
I think they concluded it didn't make much difference.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I am not sure if that is what I have started doing on my singlespeed bike on steep hills...?

It is hard to get each crank through the deadspot at the top of the pedal stroke so I have got into the habit of dropping the heel and pushing the crank from behind rather than trying to do it from above.
I don't think this is ankling but it's a technique I started to use in 2020. I spent hours trying to get better on hills and discovered if I dropped my heel in this way and pushed the pedal this way it makes climbing noticeably easier.

Sharky

Guru
Only 55 years?
I've been doing it since I were 10 and my first road bike. Tend to do it more when resistance gets harder, into the wind or climbs.
Also do the 1-2-3 tecnique, where you stamp hard down on the pedal stroke on the "1" and on the next "1" with the other leg. Helps when you are on fixed and think you are at the top end of the cadence range. Makes you go just a little bit quicker. At least you think you do.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yup been 'ankling' since about 14 so 45yrs now.

Twilkes

Guru
No idea if I do it, and a lot of cyclists probably wouldn't know if they do it without being externally analysed, what cyclists think they're doing with their limbs isn't always what they're actually doing, or whether it is even benefitting them rather than just feeling like it's benefitting them.

But stuff I've read recently is that you should do what you do naturally as your body tends towards efficiency, rather than actively trying to change your cycling gait. Everyone has different physiology and what works for me might not work for you.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It used to be the only way to pedal, but hasn't been taught as such for a very long time.

*Dropping your heel at the top of the stroke and your toe at the bottom, as if you're trying to push the pedal round.

yello

I have tried to consciously do it but it felt unnatural. Whether I unwittingly did it naturally at certain times, I can't say. I think it possible though as I rode fixed a great deal.

It used to be the only way to pedal, but hasn't been taught as such for a very long time.

*Dropping your heel at the top of the stroke and your toe at the bottom, as if you're trying to push the pedal round.
ah thanks - I think that's what I sometimes do naturally climbing up the big hill to my place.

It does feel better but am not sure why - will follow the thread with interest.

Top Bottom