Annoyed and Angry...Go Ahead Bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No need for you to go past the buses how you did (imo) but there can be no excuse for an obviously intimidating and dangerous move by the bus driver. If I had the footage I'd send it, why not.

Maylian

Veteran
As others I wouldn't have felt the need to go past the busses since you'd make it through the lights and there is no asl.

Obviously the overtake was bad on the busses part so report it to the company. Judging from other posts I doubt roadsafe would do anything as you broke the law in the first place crossing a red.

You have to put yourself in the bus drivers seat, and how he or she reads the road, as you said you were 3 feet out from the kerb and the bus was a foot from yourself, so he was being forced out into the oncoming traffic, he or she no doubt was expecting you to move back nearer the kerb as soon as you had passed the car that had overshoot the white line, from your video, for city or town cycling you had heaps of room, not really the amount of room us cyclist want but its what we get, so to a certain extent we have to adopt our riding skills to deal with it.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
I won't be holding my breath, but I did get an email from TFL.

Thanks for your email of 21 February about a bus driver on route 180. I'm sorry for any distress that a driver of a route 180 bus caused you.

Poor driving or driving without due care is simply unacceptable. I've made London General, the bus operating company that runs this route for us, aware of your concerns. The driver will be identified and appropriate action will be taken.

The safety of our customers and road users is our highest priority. We go to great lengths to train our bus drivers to very high standards.

We continue to monitor driving performance, to ensure that high standards are maintained. Every month we carry out over 600 Driver Quality Monitoring surveys. This provides us with technical assessments of their driving skills. Drivers are assessed on acceleration and braking, as well as the use of mirrors, doors and road positioning.

Wobblers

Euthermic
You have to put yourself in the bus drivers seat, and how he or she reads the road, as you said you were 3 feet out from the kerb and the bus was a foot from yourself, so he was being forced out into the oncoming traffic, he or she no doubt was expecting you to move back nearer the kerb as soon as you had passed the car that had overshoot the white line, from your video, for city or town cycling you had heaps of room, not really the amount of room us cyclist want but its what we get, so to a certain extent we have to adopt our riding skills to deal with it.

There were railings on Trickedem's left. That space was absolutely required for his safety. Nor does it excuse the bus driver in any way: it was still a gratuitously dangerous and unnecessary maneuver.

Top Bottom