Annual Simplified Climbing Lunacy Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Actually it maybe :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:posting as I seem to be the only one doing the 30 mins x 3 per week (currently three rides into week 30 weirdly enough)

bluenotebob

Veteran
as I seem to be the only one doing the 30 mins x 3 per week (currently three rides into week 30 weirdly enough)

No - you're not the only one. I'm still in - I've only missed two days on the bike since the end of February but I just couldn't be bothered to keep posting every other day in that challenge.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
No - you're not the only one. I'm still in - I've only missed two days on the bike since the end of February but I just couldn't be bothered to keep posting every other day in that challenge.

I will concede that bit does feel a bit like a chore at times

bluenotebob

Veteran
I will concede that bit does feel a bit like a chore at times

Exactly.

I decided (around week 12 or 13, I think) that I was only going to post again in that challenge if I failed in any one week – and that I would therefore have to pull out.

It’s obviously up to you as to whether you want to keep posting three times a week but you might consider ‘block booking’ your rides once a week (or just once a month).

Incidentally, I grew up a bit south from where you and @ColinJ live – and I have enjoyed seeing your photos of Pennine moorland, the Leeds-Liverpool canal – and one of a railway line (near Burnley?) – they brought back some happy teenage memories of being out on my Raleigh bike and exploring.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Incidentally, I grew up a bit south from where you and @ColinJ live – and I have enjoyed seeing your photos of Pennine moorland, the Leeds-Liverpool canal – and one of a railway line (near Burnley?) – they brought back some happy teenage memories of being out on my Raleigh bike and exploring.

My new phone has a really good camera but I usually carry it in a dry bag inside a backpack when out on the bike. It is a bit of a faff to fish it out so I don't take as many photos as I used to. (It is also a pain answering mid-ride calls.)

I should buy a small bag to fit to the front of the bike and put the phone in that.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Exactly.

I decided (around week 12 or 13, I think) that I was only going to post again in that challenge if I failed in any one week – and that I would therefore have to pull out.

It’s obviously up to you as to whether you want to keep posting three times a week but you might consider ‘block booking’ your rides once a week (or just once a month).

Glad you have enjoyed the pics, and yes, the railway was near Burnley

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
A near miss on yesterday's ride. Joined the midweek group for what looked like a surefire climbing qualifier but 3300ft elev. gain indicated on Garmin ended up as 2881ft when downloaded and adjusted, for the 67 miles. TBH I was cooked in the 31C temperatures, to the extent I was going easier in the shady sections to make them last, so missing out on a qualifying ride was the least of my worries!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That's interesting - I didn't know.

Strava's a subscription service? or it's free but you have to pay for a 'privacy option'?

After your ride, you post evidence of your ride on CC as a link to Strava - which only you can access?

I had always assumed that all CC-posted Strava links were available to anyone also on Strava who was curious to know the ride details - but apparently that's not the case .. ?

If you want to plan routes on Strava, then you have to be a subscriber. If you want to just upload rides from a device then it is free.

Ridewithgps, both route planning and uploading rides is free. I’ve no idea what extras subscribers get.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I should buy a small bag to fit to the front of the bike and put the phone in that.
One of my best purchases ever has been a Velopac (mine is teal) Takes your phone in a padded/waterproof wallet and a zipped section for bank cards/cash. Can also fit a mask in there (remember those day!) small pencil and brevet card for audax. I use mine as my everyday purse. Zip is still OK but my teal one has had a lot of use, bought another one in orange for backup. Fits in a back pocket very neatly. A friend had a horrific crash in Ireland and luckily his phone was in his pocket, cycling alone bike was away from him and it was night time. He managed to call himself an ambulance. I was assaulted once on the B2B and as they tried to wrench my seatpost bag off I remember thinking "glad my phone is on me if they do steal my bag/bike"

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Congratulations and thanks for the reminder to post in the climbing challenge thread.

Thread duly updated and now my Lunacy Simplified Climbing Challenge and Lunacy Challenge lists are no longer identical, so that's pleasing.

It took me ages updating everything this morning. 50km x 2 last weekend for 50km then triple counted yesterdays for Imperial, Lunacy distance and lunacy climbing!

Top Bottom