Annual Simplified Climbing Lunacy Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Added a couple of qualifying rides during a short camper van/cycling break in Mid-Wales. Also added a couple of BCQ answers to the tally, but I'm not really chasing those. A few photos posted in the monthly 50km/50mile challenge chatzone.
Still need 3 more qualifying rides this year, I'm enjoying the cooler weather, so hope to rattle them off fairly soon.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Added yesterday's imperial century. It just sneaks over the 2,000m mark which is my real personal target. I'm not going to manage 13 of them but I'm aiming for as many as possible.

Maybe a target for next year.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
In spite of only getting beyond Zone 2 for 1min 59sec (mayhap my heart monitor is shagged) my knees are really giving me gip tonight.
Think I will be doing half hour stints on the towpath for the rest of the week - or hoping for rain though that hasn't stopped me lately.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Today I was never more tha 10 miles from home and did only a smidge over 42 km, yet I still hit my 1000m target for the day.
Pendle - tis a hilly place.

Ride 13, September 25 - Burnley, Higham, Ridge, Dean, Sabden, Stainscomb, Sabden Fold, Jinny Lane, Clarion, high rocky road to Barley, Newchurch, Sabden Fold, Stainscomb, Sabden, Dean, Ridge, Higham, Guide Lane, Spen Brook, Jinny Lane, Roughlee, Noggarth, Fence, Burnley (total 26.2 miles plus 1030 m of ascent)
Quite a sizeable % was off road

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
What a mess. I added my original entry, updated and added another , then last time edited the first entry....

Think I have sorted it out now so my latest update should be right. I'm now on 15 after yesterday's ride around the Mendips and Cotswolds with the most refreshments stops ever! Original target was 1500m Actual currently 1658m

That was an awful long time in the saddle yesterday for mid October ! Congratulations on an abundance of achievements, including RRTY.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
That was an awful long time in the saddle yesterday for mid October ! Congratulations on an abundance of achievements, including RRTY.

There was an awful lot of out of the saddle time in there :laugh: As in off the saddle totally, not the powering up hills sort, just a bit of that out of the saddle time.:whistle:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think I may be out of this. I've had a bit of a cycling hiatus due to one thing and another. I did my October imperial century at the weekend - it was 1,343 m, so short of my 1,500m target and I found it very tough going. I don't think I'll be fitting in three 1,500m rides between now and the end of the year.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Yesterday was unseasonably warm here in the south east, so an ideal day for another qualifying ride, although there were unexpected patches of mist early on. Usual route out of West Sussex into Hampshire and the Meon Valley, where I had a change of plan. Initially I thought I'd loop back home via Wheely Down/Exton /Old Winchester Hill , a route which would have just scraped 3000ft ascent, but it was such a nice day that I pushed on further north to Four Marks before taking the hilly route home via Newton Valence and Hawkley. Ended up just shy of 80 miles with 4000ft plus ascent. Legs are feeling it today!

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Today I did a sort of inverted climbing challenge. I tried to see if I could leave the house and do a half century with minimal climbing. I managed 50.5 miles with only 24 metres ascent before being overwhelmed by boredom. I also got some odd looks from people who I assume thought I was some flavour of nutter - can't blame them really.

steverob

Guru
Completed my thirteenth ride in the challenge today, which was also my shortest qualifying ride by distance - actually tried to pack the climbs in on this one for once.

However I'd like to do one more hilly ride before the end of the year because that way I can get my lowest value to drop off the bottom of my list and that would mean my actual achievement could be updated to 2,300 feet / 700 metres, which sounds a little more impressive (but not much compared to some of you other peeps!)

Top Bottom