Annual Simplified Climbing Lunacy Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
2023 Challenge thread

You might want to ask a mod to 'pin' your new thread (conversation elsewhere refers - perhaps in the HMCAM chatzone?)

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I am regularly clocking 1,000 ft in 2023 but not really got anywhere near 1030 m, which I believe is my new target

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
On the board for 2023 at long last - complicated by the fact that my Garmin stopped reading ascent accurately. I had to fall back on calculating from other sources - luckily I run a few phone based ride recording apps & I have done all the climbs before so could double check.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I've decided to join you in this challenge again this year, hopefully not to fall at the last hurdle again!
I'm aiming for 1000m this year, instead of 3000ft. 1st qualifier completed yesterday, just about crept over my target. Hopefully most rides will be smoother than yesterday's, 3 punctures wasn't a lot of fun :ohmy:

Bleedin punctures - having to replace tyres after 3000sh miles so I going tubeless after a record number of flats this autumn/winter.
The CX runs tubeless already and hasn't had any that I have noticed in the last 1000sh miles - admittedly I have just worn out my second rear tyre on it.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Bleedin punctures - having to replace tyres after 3000sh miles so I going tubeless after a record number of flats this autumn/winter.
The CX runs tubeless already and hasn't had any that I have noticed in the last 1000sh miles - admittedly I have just worn out my second rear tyre on it.
I'm coming round to that way of thinking, my summer bike needs new tyres and I'm going to try tubeless Pro Ones. Just hope fitting isn't too much phaffing about!

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I'm coming round to that way of thinking, my summer bike needs new tyres and I'm going to try tubeless Pro Ones. Just hope fitting isn't too much phaffing about!

They are a phaff to fit - local bike shop at least will have to keep re-doing them until they are right - much less stressful than doing it yourself (though there are loads of how to vids on pootube)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They are a phaff to fit - local bike shop at least will have to keep re-doing them until they are right - much less stressful than doing it yourself (though there are loads of how to vids on pootube)

The videos are of smug blokes saying "and now you should hear a crack as the tyre seats itself" ... *crack* smug grin.

The first time I did it I ended up drenched in sweat and sealant, having pumped my air blaster to a million psi a dozen times. I can't tell you what it was that I learned, but I must have learned something because subsequent attempts have not been bad. Not smug YouTuber level, but not bad.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm busy this weekend, ruling out any cycling, so I did a mega turbo session yesterday evening, while watching the E3 Harelbecke race. The coverage lasted about 2 3/4 hours and I climbed off, utterly knackered, as soon as Wout van Aert crossed the line. I was riding up a simulation of Mt Teide in Tenerife. I managed to amass 1,640 virtual metres of ascent, despite remaining rooted to the spot. I'm not sure whether to record it in the Lunacy thread or not.

If I do it'll be clearly asterisked and my aim will still be to do 13 outdoor proper rides

Edit: Recorded it. Sue me:tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Must be more tired today than I realised - keep making silly mistakes.
Not concentrating and read 3,381 as 3,281 - only noticed when I put it on the Climbing Lunacy report - doh.
Doesn't bode well for the string of 'important' meetings at work from 9 tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Most enjoyable qualifying ride of the year (with the possible exception of Col-derdale). Had an absolute hoot descending Extwistle Moor - even enjoyed saving a turn I was sure I was going to prang on.
DSC_6916.JPG

Top Bottom