Annual winter gym woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Swimming for me, gyms just seem so full of other people's germs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did a lot gym endurance stuff when rebuilding my leg and wondering what to do next. I found that a mental journey involving counting was useful. For example working your way slowly through the words of a song, or lists of people or places. I used to slowly work through the girls names from the B52s song "52 Girls": Effie, Madge, Mabel and so on - I'd reward myself with an extra "girl" after a one minute hard effort, then follow by two minutes recovery then the next one. Or I'd go round the stations of the Circle line.

( @screenman - we're never going to agree on this: I find swimming to be THE most boring form of exercise. And done in a pool of water with other people in it. xx()

screenman

Legendary Member
I did a lot gym endurance stuff when rebuilding my leg and wondering what to do next. I found that a mental journey involving counting was useful. For example working your way slowly through the words of a song, or lists of people or places. I used to slowly work through the girls names from the B52s song "52 Girls": Effie, Madge, Mabel and so on - I'd reward myself with an extra "girl" after a one minute hard effort, then follow by two minutes recovery then the next one. Or I'd go round the stations of the Circle line.

( @screenman - we're never going to agree on this: I find swimming to be THE most boring form of exercise. And done in a pool of water with other people in it. xx()

No need to agree, each to their own and all that stuff. But the OP does have joint injuries and swimming or cycling are better I would guess than the gym for maintaining the fitness.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No need to agree, each to their own and all that stuff. But the OP does have joint injuries and swimming or cycling are better I would guess than the gym for maintaining the fitness.
Oh, personal tastes aside, you may be right. I did a lot of swimming in my long rehab. I hated it but I think it was effective.

Provided that breast stroke is avoided. My knee surgeon banned me from doing it because it involves dodgy rotational movements. He said he'd ban it totally if he had the chance.

I still hate the idea of getting into a pool with other people in. And as for the sea ...

[QUOTE 4575568, member: 43827"]I'll start this off by admitting I am a fair weather cyclist who is not very keen on cycling in the cold and/or rain, so every winter my riding is very limited. I am lucky to get a ride in once a week.

In an effort to maintain or not lose too much of what fitness I have, I rejoin the gym every winter.

Because of joint injuries I cannot use the treadmill for more than 10 minutes, so my aerobic exercise is either the spin bike or the cross-trainer. The problem is I find this sort of exercise very boring and lose the will to live after about 30 minutes. Watching the TV while exercising helps a bit.

Does anyone else have this problem, and what tips do you have for making it more interesting?[/QUOTE]
I hate Gyms, with a passion. I find swimming is a good extra bit of low impact excersise, and indoor rock climbing is a good workout. Velodrome riding is fun, unless you get wiped out and end up with a twelve inch splinter in your thigh. Circuit training is a bit higher impact, but excellent C.V. work. There's a lot of things you can do that don't involve 'gerbiling' on a 'Turbo' or spinning bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh, personal tastes aside, you may be right. I did a lot of swimming in my long rehab. I hated it but I think it was effective.

Provided that breast stroke is avoided. My knee surgeon banned me from doing it because it involves dodgy rotational movements. He said he'd ban it totally if he had the chance.

I still hate the idea of getting into a pool with other people in. And as for the sea ...

My breaststroke involves a dolphin kick, no twisting and turning out with these old knee's.

uclown2002

Guru
[QUOTE 4575568, member: 43827"]I'll start this off by admitting I am a fair weather cyclist who is not very keen on cycling in the cold and/or rain, so every winter my riding is very limited. I am lucky to get a ride in once a week.

In an effort to maintain or not lose too much of what fitness I have, I rejoin the gym every winter.

Because of joint injuries I cannot use the treadmill for more than 10 minutes, so my aerobic exercise is either the spin bike or the cross-trainer. The problem is I find this sort of exercise very boring and lose the will to live after about 30 minutes. Watching the TV while exercising helps a bit.

Does anyone else have this problem, and what tips do you have for making it more interesting?[/QUOTE]
Smart turbo + Zwift subscription.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget that plenty of those other people in swimming pools also urinate or spit in it! :headshake:

My knee surgeon is happy for me to do any stroke that is comfortable. I prefer crawl but I can't sustain more than around 5 strokes with my ailing shoulder, so on the rare occasions I swim at the mo, breast stroke it is.

I have a gym membership at the mo, just lacking in time at the mo to go while it's open. I use the recumbent bike while reading a book, crosstrainer too if my plantar fasciitis will allow it

Last edited:

dbeattie

Über Member
Alwyn Cosgrove: "Find weak links and fix them. Work on strength before speed. Work on speed before endurance, which is the opposite of what most people are doing, and you'll be fine."
Have a think about whether aerobic exercise actually exists or whether all three energy systems are used in every movement.
Set realistic goals and monitor performance against those goals.
Create variety in your training programme.
Have a look at "Self Determination Theory" on Wikipedia.
Have fun!

Oxo

Guru
I use the spin studio in the gym I use. It has a big screen and lots of programs to choose from. You can ride TdF stages, or road trails, take your pick. On going commentary about cadence and resistance levels keeps you involved. Works for me.

MarkF

Guru

Can empathise with all that, I take a 3 month gym membership each Dec/Jan/Feb, I use the cycling/running/rowing time to brush up on my Spanish and pitiful Italian, you soon lose yourself in it. Not great but better than cycling in the cold and wet for me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just come back from a 29 mile ride feeling absolutely knackered in the arms and shoulders and I wish I could find a gym nearby to do upper body work during the winter.

I've just come back from a 29 mile ride feeling absolutely knackered in the arms and shoulders and I wish I could find a gym nearby to do upper body work during the winter.

You don't need a gym, just a few basic aids for home training. Plenty of variety with both aids.

Swiss ball
upload_2016-12-18_17-23-21.jpeg

Kettle bell
upload_2016-12-18_17-24-4.jpeg

And an ab. roller
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaQj7yBBckxm8Xm0SzZDLLCzTeg2IeJSSQ4KBau2w6kpwA8LcHMA.jpg

That should get you in shape.

S-Express

If your arms and shoulders are tiring after a bike ride then I would be wondering about your riding style. On the other hand, there is no need to find a gym to work on your arms and shoulders, as it sounds like they are both getting a more-than-adequate workout on the bike.

Top Bottom