Annual winter gym woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
They do during the summer, a 100 mile isn't a problem but I haven't been on the bike for over two weeks.

Drago

Legendary Member
I did a lot gym endurance stuff when rebuilding my leg and wondering what to do next. I found that a mental journey involving counting was useful. For example working your way slowly through the words of a song, or lists of people or places. I used to slowly work through the girls names from the B52s song "52 Girls": Effie, Madge, Mabel and so on - I'd reward myself with an extra "girl" after a one minute hard effort, then follow by two minutes recovery then the next one. Or I'd go round the stations of the Circle line.

( @screenman - we're never going to agree on this: I find swimming to be THE most boring form of exercise. And done in a pool of water with other people in it. xx()
Oh dear. I just tried this, but got the wrong song. Next thing I know I'm trying to keep up with the beat of Rock Lobster and now I have terrible friction burns.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4575568, member: 43827"]I'll start this off by admitting I am a fair weather cyclist who is not very keen on cycling in the cold and/or rain, so every winter my riding is very limited. [...] Does anyone else have this problem, and what tips do you have for making it more interesting?[/QUOTE]
Get better (warmer, drier) clothes and/or better equipment and get outdoors. For now, it's the last of the turning leaves (apples, ferns and so on) and the contrast of any evergreens against the pale blue sky of a crisp winter day. I even find the strange there-one-minute-clear-the-next foggy days like Saturday fascinating, although we had some very good lights on and kept to cycle tracks or very very quiet (1 car/mile or less) roads except for 5 miles - that still may be the toughest 40-mile flat ride I've ever done!

Anyway, the crocuses will be out in a few weeks, then the aconites and snowdrops. Before you know it, there'll be daffodils (other than the motoring sort), tulips, then magnolias, roses, sunflowers and golden crops once again... Places change from season to season and if you don't ride on winter's better days, it's like you're missing seeing a quarter of your local area. I don't understand exchanging that for strip-lit rooms with TV screens.

Its a big leap of faith my joint issues were pretty similar - I put my improvement down to regular yoga - its not the most exciting hour of my life - but it does seem to work.
Also have a look at the couch to 5k running plan - there some good workouts which get you sweating with slamming your feet down to hours on end..

Trevrev

Veteran
I hate Gyms, with a passion. I find swimming is a good extra bit of low impact excersise, and indoor rock climbing is a good workout. Velodrome riding is fun, unless you get wiped out and end up with a twelve inch splinter in your thigh. Circuit training is a bit higher impact, but excellent C.V. work. There's a lot of things you can do that don't involve 'gerbiling' on a 'Turbo' or spinning bike.
I'm the total opposite.........I love Gyms. The best thing I've ever done. The combination of cardio and weights has put me in the best shape I've ever been in. I'm lean, toned and the weight has dropped off me..........Which has improved my running and a niggling knee injury. But each to their own. :-)

pclay

Veteran
I haven't read the above, but if you are bored, try classes (if your gym do them). I used to do body pump and spin classes. They are much better than using the Dreadmill.

Top Bottom