Another 10 years of the Ride London Surrey 100 announced.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve just heard via Facebook, that the Ride London Surrey organisers, have secured another 10 years for the event. Crikey, that’s forward planning:laugh:.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I’ve applied 3 times and never been successful but the day after i find out I was unsuccessful my inbox is flooded with charities offering me a ride. Funny that

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I found out today they allow recumbents. Well I never knew that. Be good to see them in the first wave so they don't get slowed down by the upright riders.
2 years ago, I helped with the training of some riders with the charity for which I was riding. His name is Steve Walford, he rides a recumbent trike, because he suffers from cerebral atrophy ( a brain disorder / condition ) He got round on his ‘bent, and there were loads of hand cycles and ‘bents out this year. It’s not as tricky as it sounds to accommodate them, in practice.

9E3F3469-5E8B-404A-836E-9342E290131A.jpeg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
One of my in-laws (frothing at the mouth, swivel-eyed, cyclist-hating, leave-voting racist) lived on the route and moaned like anything about the inconvenience.

Then a house move THREE YEARS ago, far away from the route...
Stupidly- i thought the moaning would stop.

Edited to add: I will enjoy conveying the news

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I found out today they allow recumbents. Well I never knew that. Be good to see them in the first wave so they don't get slowed down by the upright riders.
Facilmap (using car routing) makes me think that the first mile is gently uphill, then the next 2½ downhill, then up again to get into the Limehouse Link and after that gently uphill again to the Tower of London after about 8½ miles, then it's mostly downhill or flat for a while. How much of a headstart do you think most recumbents would need to reach the Tower without being swamped?

Last time I saw, I think recumbents set off between the upright 100s and the 47s. I don't understand why.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Facilmap (using car routing) makes me think that the first mile is gently uphill, then the next 2½ downhill, then up again to get into the Limehouse Link and after that gently uphill again to the Tower of London after about 8½ miles, then it's mostly downhill or flat for a while. How much of a headstart do you think most recumbents would need to reach the Tower without being swamped?

Last time I saw, I think recumbents set off between the upright 100s and the 47s. I don't understand why.

Well depends on the recumbent and rider. A race recumbent equivalent to a road bike they'd be averaging about 26-27mph on that kind of terrain. Race recumbents are generally faster uphill than road bikes on anything 6% or less, on flats and downhills we know road bikes haven't got a chance, unless you're a pro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
A decent ‘bent with a handy rider is not going to have any issues in the first 40-50 miles of the ride, they are pancake flat, except for Sawyers hill in Richmond Park ( which isn’t long enough to cause a big issue anyway ). I even saw hand powered ‘bents, with no particular issues on Leith Hill ( which is the only proper hill ) this year.

steverob

Guru
Sorry, I misread that at first and thought the recumbents were being slowed down by UPTIGHT riders! I just thought, well that's the typical RideLondon cyclist for you, always getting uptight about the bikes others are on...

Skanker

I’m sure my neighbours on their boats will be out bitching and moaning again like they did on the day of the London to Brighton ride, because they can’t let their dogs run around off lead unattended, because of all the bikes.
I was even asked to write a letter of complaint while I sat on my boat roof cleaning my recumbent trike??
I walked my dog (on lead) that morning, as was passed by about 100 very respectful riders and had no issues at all, funny how a lead solves all cyclist issues!
If anyone takes part and passes through Walton on Thames, feel free to pop on board for a brew, kettles always on!

Top Bottom