Another 531 Trek from 1986

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
This Trek 400 Elance will make a nice stablemate to the 1985 600 series Trek I already have. Both are butted 531 on the mauin tubes, with Cr-Mo forks and rear triangle, all made in the Waterloo Wisconsin factory. Some Treks of this period had the rear triangle made in Japan, but they have a dart stay end, instead of the clipped stay end finished with an investment cast lug at the rear drop out.
1581940404966.png

The SunTour rear derailleur and cranks will be replaced with 600 Shimano to get indexed shifting back on this . A tad more relaxed than the 600, this may become my distance event/Eroica bike for events such as Apple Cider Ride. The SunTour equipment may go to the Bianchi, as soon as I can iron out the difficulties there.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Quite lovely. That looks fabulous... and still fast!

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It needs some work, and some parts. It needs to be restored to all Shimano Light Action or 600 series group set. It is now a mixture of SunTour and Shimano. This may be the distance/randonneur bike for me, as well as the bike for Eroica events. I have a 600 series Trek from the year before, but it has been customized with Brifters and external bearing BB. This bicycle, the Elance, could be tripelized with an S/R triple, and still be contemporary and correct with the catalog offerings for 1986. But I think I will remain with the original concept for now, and keep this a full 600 series bike. That gives me indexed shifting in a bicycle with period parts, in an acceptable rig for Eroica, although Light Action RD would be best, as that is what is specced in the catalog.

Top Bottom