Another AyUp Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I don't really like spending money. I don't think I'm that bad, but my sister for a joke bought me a teddy of a beaver clutching a purse with "tight beaver" written on it, and Mr Plax always comments about the moths flying out of my purse when I open it.

Anyway I have a set of Smart electron 5w and 10w rechargable lights already which I think are fantastic value although a bit bulky and take ages to charge. I've been drooling over AyUps since they were mentioned several times on this site. So I finally splashed out on a set. I'm feeling quite feint!

I'm hoping they won't disappoint and will be better than my existing set up.

I've gone for;
http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/v-twin-sports/

The V-Twin Sports. There have the intermediate beam for handlebars. It cost £184 plus £7 postage so total of £191 :ohmy:. Apparently they will be delivered by Fedex and all other taxes etc are taken care of as part of the order.

They do have an AyUp ultra light set for £155 (so £162 with P&P), but they were sold out.

One of the hardest choices to make, other than clicking the buy button, was what colour to go for. Hot pink was a contender. In the end as Gun Metal Grey (my 1st choice) & Black were sold out I went with Titanium.

How have people mounted their battery? I have my Garmin on the stem of my Galaxy where it looks like the battery is on the photos on the site. Can you put it on the top tube ok, or will I have to move my garmin?

Out of interest for people who have the AyUps, what colours have you gone with, anyone brave enough to get the hot pink? I was very tempted but it just wouldn't have gone with either of my bikes.

Mods:

Can we change Plax's member title to "tight beaver"?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays has his lights mounted underneath his stem with his computer thing on top of the stem (they were interferring with each other before he moved things around). And the battery is mounted on the outside of the headset if that makes sense - on the frame of the bike facing forwards. If you want a photo of this set up it will have to wait until he gets home.

And they are the light blue ones.

BSRU

A Human Being
I know it is a bit late now but I have the same Electron lights but I have modified them to be more powerful using a 20w spot and 20w flood running of 12v 9.8Ah Li-ion batteries. From what I have read the Ay-ups should provide alot better light for riding, as do all the new £100+ LED lights.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mods:

Can we change Plax's member title to "tight beaver"?

LOL, that's quite funny, although might people think of it in another context? :whistle:

Mr Summerdays has his lights mounted underneath his stem with his computer thing on top of the stem (they were interferring with each other before he moved things around). And the battery is mounted on the outside of the headset if that makes sense - on the frame of the bike facing forwards. If you want a photo of this set up it will have to wait until he gets home.

And they are the light blue ones.

That's were my garmin is, on the length of stem just above where the headset is. That sounds where Mr Summerdays has his battery?

I know it is a bit late now but I have the same Electron lights but I have modified them to be more powerful using a 20w spot and 20w flood running of 12v 9.8Ah Li-ion batteries. From what I have read the Ay-ups should provide alot better light for riding, as do all the new £100+ LED lights.

Just out of interest how did you do this and how much was it? Do you have a thread to link to? If it wasn't too expensive it might be worth doing as a spare.

BSRU

A Human Being
Just out of interest how did you do this and how much was it? Do you have a thread to link to? If it wasn't too expensive it might be worth doing as a spare.

You can just change the bulbs for 12v versions, ensuring they are MR11's, a couple of quid each, being 12v they are very common, I bought Osram Titans. A 20w 12v bulb uses about 1.7A per hour, so one battery should last 5.75 hours. I did try to use two 20w bulbs on one battery but the battery safety circuit shut it down, just reset battery and it was fine.

The batteries are about £26 pound each, which includes shipping from Hong Kong, of EBay. I was wary of buying something from HK but no problems. I did have to buy a decent charger about £26 from a place in the UK, you do get a charger with the battery but it takes too long to charge.

The 12v 9800 mAh LI-Ion battery is from shcfstore on EBay:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-DC-Rechar...70517642472?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item27b3a4bce8

For the charger:-
http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/14.html

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's were my garmin is, on the length of stem just above where the headset is. That sounds where Mr Summerdays has his battery?

I don't think so - that's where his Hollux cycle computer is on the stem ... I mean the bit of the frame that's facing forwards ... I will take a photo of it later to explain it better - or perhaps tomorrow as it will be dark tonight. (Now I'm getting worried in case I'm making it all up as it's his bike and it's new - we will see later).

How have people mounted their battery? I have my Garmin on the stem of my Galaxy where it looks like the battery is on the photos on the site. Can you put it on the top tube ok, or will I have to move my garmin?

You can put the battery pretty much anywhere so long as it reaches (and you can get extender power leads as well). On Mr SHK's and my Bromptons, we originally had the lights mounted on the bikes but due to problems with the front luggage and the light beam, we moved to helmet mounting (Gecko_) and I love having the beam move where you look! The battery is also then helmet mounted. If you're not a helmet person you can also get a headband but might look a bit odd... :smile:

Ours are green and blue.

iZo

I ordered the the Ultra Lite set and arrived in the post a few days ago. i was watching the site for a few days and the available stock kept decreasing, it got to 1 left and i had to buy it, they were taunting me.

Ill have the Position vs Garmin arrangement to deal with them i get to attach them at the weekend, If you could post a pic Mr Summerdays setup, it would help with my decisions of where to put them :smile:

ACS

Legendary Member
The bracket for my Strada computer takes a fair amount of space on the stem so I have my battery pack on the top tube, just behind the headtube.

Just for the record, V-Twin sport in Black:biggrin:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I ordered the the Ultra Lite set and arrived in the post a few days ago. i was watching the site for a few days and the available stock kept decreasing, it got to 1 left and i had to buy it, they were taunting me.

Ill have the Position vs Garmin arrangement to deal with them i get to attach them at the weekend, If you could post a pic Mr Summerdays setup, it would help with my decisions of where to put them :smile:

Ah, so you are the sold out culprit!:biggrin:

How was delivery, they say 1-2 days for UK Fedex? I'm just concerned that if they don't deliver them on Monday (when I've got a day off), i'll have to try and arrange re-delivery at works address. They don't have a collection depot around here as far as I can tell. Website says Manchester which is a tad far to go from North Wales!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok - not the best of photos ... I was trying to cook as he arrived home...

27ysubc.jpg
21c8je1.jpg

So the battery is the bit with the orange switch on the front, lights mounted underneath and the first shot without flash but its blurred

2u430nd.jpg

Don't know if that helps.

On the old bike the set up was lights on top and battery under the stem - that was before he got that computer/gps thing.

Top Bottom