Another AyUp Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iZo

Ah, so you are the sold out culprit!:biggrin:

How was delivery, they say 1-2 days for UK Fedex? I'm just concerned that if they don't deliver them on Monday (when I've got a day off), i'll have to try and arrange re-delivery at works address. They don't have a collection depot around here as far as I can tell. Website says Manchester which is a tad far to go from North Wales!

:tongue: yes i was :smile: sorry

I ordered it on the Thursday Night last week, Dispatched Friday and it arrived Monday morning. Ive been ona VMware Training course all week so havent had chance to have a tinker.

Thanks to Sunnydays for the photo's, I think i might locate it underneath, still looking for a sleek way to attach the battery. I think there is enough clearance under the Garmin when its mounted to hold the strap. will have to try

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You should be able to sneak the straps for the battery under the Garmin mount - but depends upon your stem length. Tiny little units those Ay-Ups.... other options are top tube, or under bars in the middle ?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
:tongue: yes i was :smile: sorry

I ordered it on the Thursday Night last week, Dispatched Friday and it arrived Monday morning. Ive been ona VMware Training course all week so havent had chance to have a tinker.

So knowing my luck it will arrive on Tuesday.............

Thanks to Summerdays for the photos, Mr Summerdays has his garmin exactly where mine is, wouldn't have thought to put the battery there, looks like a good place, so I don't have to compromise with my bar bag!

Ranger

So knowing my luck it will arrive on Tuesday.............

Thanks to Summerdays for the photos, Mr Summerdays has his garmin exactly where mine is, wouldn't have thought to put the battery there, looks like a good place, so I don't have to compromise with my bar bag!

Using an extension lead I put my battery in my jersey/jacket pocket, for some reason I am paranoid about the battery falling off the bike!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
My prediction was correct and they tried to deliver today and I was at work :cry:

The delivery card/Internet options of redliver to same address, leave in a safe place or collect from local depot (in a different country no less) weren't do-able for me. Thankfully when I phoned them up I was able to provide my works address for them to deliver to. I know sometimes depending on delivery type they won't let you do that so phew!

An extra days wait. It's awful, like being a child waiting for Christmas!

The delivery card/Internet options of redliver to same address, leave in a safe place or collect from local depot (in a different country no less) weren't do-able for me. Thankfully when I phoned them up I was able to provide my works address for them to deliver to. I know sometimes depending on delivery type they won't let you do that so phew!

Sometimes you are allowed to change addresses etc but they need to get the seller to confirm it's OK too..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh, you'll be like a cat on hot bricks tomorrow then...... waiting for the courier

Waiting for my rear Magicshines to come - they left (physically)Honk Kong on saturday.......

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I don't really like spending money. I don't think I'm that bad, but my sister for a joke bought me a teddy of a beaver clutching a purse with "tight beaver" written on it, and Mr Plax always comments about the moths flying out of my purse when I open it.

Anyway I have a set of Smart electron 5w and 10w rechargable lights already which I think are fantastic value although a bit bulky and take ages to charge. I've been drooling over AyUps since they were mentioned several times on this site. So I finally splashed out on a set. I'm feeling quite feint!

I'm hoping they won't disappoint and will be better than my existing set up.

I've gone for;
http://www.ayup-ligh.../v-twin-sports/

The V-Twin Sports. There have the intermediate beam for handlebars. It cost £184 plus £7 postage so total of £191 :ohmy:. Apparently they will be delivered by Fedex and all other taxes etc are taken care of as part of the order.

They do have an AyUp ultra light set for £155 (so £162 with P&P), but they were sold out.

One of the hardest choices to make, other than clicking the buy button, was what colour to go for. Hot pink was a contender. In the end as Gun Metal Grey (my 1st choice) & Black were sold out I went with Titanium.

How have people mounted their battery? I have my Garmin on the stem of my Galaxy where it looks like the battery is on the photos on the site. Can you put it on the top tube ok, or will I have to move my garmin?

Out of interest for people who have the AyUps, what colours have you gone with, anyone brave enough to get the hot pink? I was very tempted but it just wouldn't have gone with either of my bikes.

Black Ay-Ups, and I have the battery pack strapped under the stem beneath the lights.

I though they had a UK distributor again to avoid having to get them shipped from Oz - has this changed again?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I have finally got my hands on my Ayups.
I was impressed with the box they came in and how small they are. I never realised they were that small!

16lfi4l.jpg

zvar08.jpg

There are more bits in that box than I know what to do with. I probably won't bother with the gecko helmet mount or the headtorch parts for the time being.

There were two handlebar mounts so I have one on each bike. I've put the battery on charge and it only took about an hr so I think it had some charge left already.

My Garmin is too big to go on the stem with the lights on the handlebars, so I've had to move my garmin onto the handlebars for now, so I might as well put the battery under the stem. it looks easy enough to swap the battery between bikes at a whim.

I am now waiting patiently for it to get dark so I can go out and play.

@Goo - Yes they once again have a UK distributor, they came from somewhere in Leicester.

they've shot up haven't they - was looking at them only today with a guy at work who wants to get some...
when I got mine about two years ago while they were still in oz-only, I think i paid about £200 for what was then called the "MTB kit", with TWO lights.
the cheapest two light kit now seems to be over £300!
eek.gif

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have finally got my hands on my Ayups.
I was impressed with the box they came in and how small they are. I never realised they were that small!

16lfi4l.jpg

zvar08.jpg

There are more bits in that box than I know what to do with. I probably won't bother with the gecko helmet mount or the headtorch parts for the time being.

There were two handlebar mounts so I have one on each bike. I've put the battery on charge and it only took about an hr so I think it had some charge left already.

My Garmin is too big to go on the stem with the lights on the handlebars, so I've had to move my garmin onto the handlebars for now, so I might as well put the battery under the stem. it looks easy enough to swap the battery between bikes at a whim.

I am now waiting patiently for it to get dark so I can go out and play.

@Goo - Yes they once again have a UK distributor, they came from somewhere in Leicester.

I really like the new box! Mine came in a neoprene roll.

Might get myself one of the new 'flashing' batteries at some point now they're in the UK - fancy the ability to switch between steady & flashing depending on the situation.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
they've shot up haven't they - was looking at them only today with a guy at work who wants to get some...
when I got mine about two years ago while they were still in oz-only, I think i paid about £200 for what was then called the "MTB kit", with TWO lights.
the cheapest two light kit now seems to be over £300!
eek.gif

Their adventure kit is £320 with two lights, which I presume must be their re-branded MTB kit. I dread to think what their V8 Explorer kit costs with four twin light sets. It doesn't say when you click on it. £640 probably!

Still value for money I think as they are advertised as 400+ lumens and a nice and compact size battery.

I've been for my ride and wow they are brilliant! Much better than my 5w and 10w halogens and I thought they were good when I first got them. No more cycling into hedges at night for me!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I really like the new box! Mine came in a neoprene roll.

Might get myself one of the new 'flashing' batteries at some point now they're in the UK - fancy the ability to switch between steady & flashing depending on the situation.

Funnily enough you can buy yourself one of the new boxes for £10!

I was toying with the idea of a spare battery. The 2010 half epic are £40.50, so quite pricey if they also charge £7 delivery. The full epic is £54.50 (which is bigger so would also require a new large pouch and large strap).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What is the difference between the batteries ... Mr Summerday's battery is about 18 months old I think (can't remember exactly when the scrotes stole the previous one), but just this morning he was talking about putting another light on his bike so he had a flashing one... so it could be a possible Christmas present.

Top Bottom